Laysons marker lights/tail lights?

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

1971SSP
GTX (RS)

Laysons marker lights/tail lights?

Post by 1971SSP » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:14 pm

Anyone else here buy the repops from Laysons? I bought the marker lights, they are pretty nice, just the amber lenses have some chips along the top. They told me it was in the mold, all the amber lenses were like that. The reds are great. Still better then any cracked crap. But $149 a set.

I'm wondering about the tail lights? Anyone get a pair? Or seen a pair in person? those are $149 each...pricey, but a used one in eBay with a small crack goes in the $75-$90 range.

All in all, its nice to see a company making some repo parts for our rare b-body cars. Just in case any guys don't know that these are reproduced, www.laysons.com

They make the wheel lip moldings too...
Brian
1971 Satellite Sebring Plus

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Laysons

Post by Dave » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:46 am

Brian,

I have a complete set of marker lights from Laysons for my Road Runner. I bought the lenses and housings together. I picked them up at Carlisle this year, and took my time and dug though all the ones they had with them to get the best set of 4. There were some variations, but off the top of my head, I can't remember them having chips in the lenses.

As far as the tail lights, haven't seen them yet, but at $150/each, that's not too bad at all. Go price an NOS set. ;) Any idea if they are doing them with the blackouts or just plain like the Satelite ones?

I did get to see the pre-production pieces for the 71/72 WOM's. Wow are they nice, and the price was going to be around $250 for the set if I remember correctly. They should be available by now. Nice to finally see that, since my Road Runner wasn't going to have them if my choice was to find NOS or mint used.. lol
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

Eric
Site Admin

Laysons

Post by Eric » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:57 am

I've seen the side markers on a show car, and I have to warn you, the housings are very different than the originals. They are made of a different type of plastic that is much thinner. You can actually see light through the white housing. It's not noticable unless it's installed and you're looking at it in a dark trunk.
I've purchased the lenses and had the same difficulty with quality around the edges. It's best to buy them at a show so you can look them over. My opinion, save your money and only buy the lenses and install them in old housings.
As for the WOM's, I've had a set on order for more than 2 years now. I also saw the pre-production pieces and agree they are nice, but they've been pushing back the ship date for months now. Guess I'll believe it when they show up at my door!

Dave
Site Admin

Housing Color

Post by Dave » Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:54 am

I noticed the housing color difference. My plan for the ones in the trunk is to take my one NOS assembly to Sherwin Williams and have the housing color matched. Then just paint the housings the right color. That should help quite a bit, and really, some light in the trunk isn't an all bad thing. ;) That's why I'm adding a factory trunk light.

Yea, I've been hearing the same story on the WOM's for a while now. At least with Laysons, while they are slow to market with stuff, the quality tends to be really good.
Dave

Eric
Site Admin

Housing Color

Post by Eric » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:27 pm

The problem with that is that the housings are not a uniform color. I think you'll have trouble matching the look with paint. I've restored a couple of old housings and replaced the lenses with good results. I'll try to get some pics posted later. Also, I have a spare NOS rear assembly if you're interested...but it wasn't cheap!!!
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

1971SSP
GTX (RS)

lenses

Post by 1971SSP » Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:52 pm

I agree about re-using your old marker housings. I also noticed when I was at the Nationals in 2002, that the housings were not like the originals. I could kick myself for not buying my marker lenses right there. If I go back in the summer, I'll pick up another set by hand.

But again, at least repop's are being made.

My wheel lip moldings are pretty nice. I'm waiting to use the NOS moldings I have stored. Last summer I bought three moldings (missing the drivers side) from a guy local for $150! Yes, $50 each!! It was a steal. If anyone knows of a NOS drivers side for sale, please e-mail me guestviewer@webtv.net I know I will have to pay high on that one, I hear its the hard one to find.

Brian
Brian

Eric
Site Admin

Wheel opening mouldings

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:23 am

I just got a call from Pat Layson yesterday about the long overdue repop WOMs. They're scheduled to ship next week! I'll post an update on the quality once they arrive. Hope they're good, they definately weren't cheap.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

1971SSP
GTX (RS)

moldings

Post by 1971SSP » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:34 pm

Please do update about the moldings. If they are nice, I will end up buying a set, and selling the three NOS I have. Brian
Brian

mopar71
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 roadrunner

side marker lights

Post by mopar71 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:56 pm

I bought some red marker light lenses at carlistle and used the old housings.I like the way they came out.
http://groups.msn.com/MarkandVelana/jun ... otoID=3419

Dave
Site Admin

Laysons

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:31 am

Eric,

Great news on the WOM's Be sure to let us know how they are when they arrive. I handled the pre-production set at Carlisle this year, and they looked great, but didn't have any way to see what the fit would be like. Oh, and I did get your email, just been so busy with the holidays and everything at work that I haven't had time to get back to you. I'll try to get an email off to you from home tonight.

Mark,

Those pic's are great. When I get around to the marker lights for my car, I'll post how they come out as well.

Anybody asked Laysons about the ETA for the 71 tail light lenses yet?
Dave

mopar71
GTX (RS)

laysons

Post by mopar71 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:14 am

Dave, Thanks, My name is actually Pablo (mopar71). Mark is the webmaster of the site(Mark and Velana).Can you post pictures on this site? I would also like to see some photos of what the new tail light lenses and mouldings look like. We actually met in carlistle in 2001 and I took photos of the headliner in your car. Maybe I'll see you there in 2004.

Eric
Site Admin

Layson's update

Post by Eric » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:45 pm

Just a quick update about the WOM's from Layson's...2 weeks since the call and I haven't seen them yet, but in typical Layson's fashion, they billed my credit card two weeks ago! I contacted them today, and I got excuses (again normal) but they promised that they'd be shipped this week. It's a good thing their parts are high quality, because they can't hit a deadline. My recommendation if buying anything from them, get it at the shows, don't mail order it.

1971SSP
GTX (RS)

WOM

Post by 1971SSP » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:24 pm

I love the credit card thing...but please do let us know when you get them......sometime in March....(just kidding).....like I said before, if they fit nice, I'm selling the three NOS I have and buying a repo set.
Brian

Eric
Site Admin

WOM update

Post by Eric » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:14 pm

The WOM's finally arrived today! I have to say that they look better than the preproduction pieces I saw last year. None are perfect, they all have a few scrapes, but not bad. I'd say they're as good as any NOS pieces you'd find. If you put them on a concourse car you'd need to do a little work on them, but I guess that's to be expected. I had time to put the fronts on this evening, and the fit is excellent. They warned me that the predrilled holes might not line up with the ones in my fenders, but there were only a couple that I had to drill the fender to match. The funny thing is each one is labeled "Made in Taiwan"!!! No wonder they took so long.

mopar71
GTX (RS)

Post by mopar71 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:50 pm

Eric,
Do you have any pics of the wom's :D