Brake and clutch pedal height issue

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

taguy4
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1073 Road Runner

Brake and clutch pedal height issue

Post by taguy4 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:54 pm

I converted my '73 Road Runner to a manual transmission and used a used pedal assembly what I was led to believe was for my car. Now with everything installed as per the Plymouth factory shop manual the brake pedal is a good two inches lower than the clutch pedal where you press down with your foot. I'm wondering if this is normal because I've never seen this on any other car I've worked on, and it seems odd you would have to press the brake pedal down almost to the floor to stop the car. In case it matters the car has power brakes and I replaced the master cylinder at the time I did the conversion. I also installed a new clutch pedal bumper which determines how high the clutch pedal is off of the floor.

To fix this I've tried lengthening the adjustment on the pushrod that goes into the back of the master cylinder, but all that did was make it so that the piston in the MC started to compress when I forced it down on the brake booster with the nuts on the studs. The reason why the pedal is so low appears to be because the rod that connects the pedal arm to the pivot on the pedal box is so short. What length is the correct one so I know if mine is right or not, and were different lengths of these used for different years/applications? I'm thinking that maybe the pedal box assembly I got acquired the wrong one of these rods somewhere along the way.

Any insight into this would be much appreciated.

Philcollins1
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Satelitte Sebring

Re: Brake and clutch pedal height issue

Post by Philcollins1 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:03 pm

It's normal for a power brake car

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:10 am

Both of mine sit about 1" to 1 1/2" higher
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:18 pm

Don't have a parts book for 73, but a look at 71 may provide insight:

The brake pedals for ATX vs. MTX cars had different part numbers. Same for brake pedal brackets.

The clutch pedal part numbers differed for 6 vs. 8 cylinder

The clutch pedal bracket was same regardless

The clutch linkage rod varied by 6/small 8 vs. big 8

If this was the same for 73, then there is not universal fitment. You may have the wrong assembly for your engine/trans.

Philcollins1
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Satelitte Sebring

Post by Philcollins1 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:13 am

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Post by 71bird » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Do you have a power brake car? If yes, then this is normal and designed into it. It tells about it in the service manual.
71 Road Runner - J68