73' Satellite brake booster removal

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

spoiledrottenauto
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1972 Satellite Sebring Plus 5.7 Hemi/Kesiler 4l60e

73' Satellite brake booster removal

Post by spoiledrottenauto » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:05 pm

Hey guys, does the steering column need to come out to remove the master/booster? Mine is shot and wondering what the proper procedure is?
Thanks everyone in advance! Cheers to ya!
Brian

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Re: 73' Satellite brake booster removal

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:47 am

Steering column? No, does not need to be removed. Unbolt the master cylinder from the booster, disconnect the push rod from the pedal, pull the pivot pin on the rod lever, don’t attempt to remove the lever and rod from the booster while the booster is in the car. Remove the four nuts on the booster to firewall studs.

spoiledrottenauto
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1972 Satellite Sebring Plus 5.7 Hemi/Kesiler 4l60e

Post by spoiledrottenauto » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:22 pm

Thank you for that much needed info!!!!
Brian

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:48 am

I think the answer may depend on which booster you have. I'm talking from recent experience with trying to remove mine in a '71 GTX. In that year, I believe there were two different boosters for non-hemi V-8s. Depended on diameter of the front brakes. In my case, the pedal stroke was reduced by using a lever where the booster input shaft was attached between the pedal attachment and a pivot. Access to the pivot bolt/shaft nut is terrible, and of course the buttheads didn't weld it to the bracket. It seemed to require removing the bulkhead disconnect at a minimum, and possibly the steering column. In addition, of the four nuts holding the booster to the firewall, only one of them had decent access. The other three were going to be a battle, to say the least. Ultimately, I gave up the idea of taking it out. I wanted it out of the way to paint the engine bay, but decided to just paint around it as best I could.

I guess it's possible none of this applies to a '73. I changed the booster in my '72 'cuda without much trouble at all. Go figure. Good luck.