Help With 71-72 Hood Insert Attachment

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX
72 cuda repli-mod

Help With 71-72 Hood Insert Attachment

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Wed May 02, 2018 2:57 pm

Hey, all. I've been away from the nest for a few months - got used to it being down back in January or so. The good news is I'm nearing the end of my exterior restoration work. Just have to prime the marker bezels, the hood inserts and the mirrors, then yank the engine, scuff the engine compartment, and head to the paint bay.

When I took the hood inserts off, I found that the outboard fasteners were missing, and the bosses holding the studs are pretty beat-up. I'm going to use SMC repair compound to rebuild the bosses and cement in new studs. But I have no idea what goes on these studs on the bottom side of the hood. The inboard studs just have swivel-flange nuts.

Can someone describe or better yet get a couple pics of the outboard attachment hardware? I guess it might be hidden by the insulation pad.

Thanx,

Mark

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Re: Help With 71-72 Hood Insert Attachment

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Sun May 06, 2018 12:19 pm

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX
72 cuda repli-mod

Re: Help With 71-72 Hood Insert Attachment

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Thu May 17, 2018 7:22 am

Thanks. I bought a second set of inserts from Tony's Parts. There was a rusted away remnant of one of those left. The nut was gone.

First time buying from Tony's. Not happy with their honesty. The inserts were described as very nice condition on the finish side. They were not, One looked like somebody hit a few golf balls off it. Maybe that's why they were ONLY $195.