71 SSP Charging system

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

mrsnicks
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus

71 SSP Charging system

Post by mrsnicks » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:34 am

So... I don't have my 71 SSP fully wired yet. I do have the following.

1. Engine bay harness installed
2. Direct battery wired run switch and push button starter (like on a run stand)
3. Voltage regulator mounted on the firewall

My questions is this:

What connections do I need to make so that the alternator charges the battery in the current configuration?

I don't have the dash/gauges installed so don't have to worry about the ammeter. I just want the alternator to charge the battery without installing the complete wiring harness at this time.

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Re: 71 SSP Charging system

Post by 71bird » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:10 am

Well, really you need everything else. The regulator tells the alt what to do by what it see every where else. You could let the alt run wide open, but that would not be good for the battery for long.
71 Road Runner - J68

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:34 am

As 71bird said, You need the rest of the wiring. Power from the alternator goes to the amp meter then the rest of the vehicle. If you just want to run the engine don't worry about charging the battery with the alternator. If the battery is charged up the ignition system only uses a little power and will be more then enough to run the motor.

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 am

The dash harness can be temporarily bypassed, connect the alternator output lead(Black-12ga) to the battery positive, provide +12V to the engine harness ignition run circuit, dark blue wire with a trace. If needed, providing +12V to the brown wire while cranking will by-pass the ballast resistor, as does the ignition switch when in place. Make sure you have a good ground from the engine to the body/regulator mounting, charging system should function as normal.

mrsnicks
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus

Post by mrsnicks » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:43 pm

72RoadRunnerGTX wrote:The dash harness can be temporarily bypassed, connect the alternator output lead(Black-12ga) to the battery positive, provide +12V to the engine harness ignition run circuit, dark blue wire with a trace. If needed, providing +12V to the brown wire while cranking will by-pass the ballast resistor, as does the ignition switch when in place. Make sure you have a good ground from the engine to the body/regulator mounting, charging system should function as normal.
The ballast resistor is already bypassed as I'm using a pertronix system. It's already wired to start and run directly off the battery using a run stand switch.

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:16 pm

Then, connect the alt output to the battery positive, be sure to use at least 12ga wire. Careful about shorts if not using a fusible link. Power up the blue wire in the engine harness, plug in the regulator, be sure reg is grounded to the motor. Charging system will work.
Careful about disconnecting charge lead from battery with engine running, will over volt alt output, can fry anything connected to it.
my recent run stand, shows temp connections