GTX emblem retainers

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

steved
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

GTX emblem retainers

Post by steved » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:27 pm

So. there's these little plastic sleeves that magically hold the GTX emblems in place on the sides of my car. Where do i get some of these?

there are the 3/16 emblem retainers out there, but these are more like 1/4 or 5/16"

sjd
1971 GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold.

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX
72 cuda repli-mod

Re: GTX emblem retainers

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:33 am

By 1/4 or 5/16", I assume you mean the OD of the "sleeve"? That's might big to be the ID.

They tended to use elongated castlenuts for this kind of thing. I haven't looked at my side emblems to see what holds them on, and my interior is in at the moment, but may be back out in less than a month. One place I know they use the castlenuts is on the bezels that surround the side marker lights. They have a fast thread, and they wear out fast. When I looked for those, I didn't find them - I'm missing a couple. I think they are pot metal rather than plastic, and the bezels seem like pot metal too. The emblems are also pot metal, I would imagine.

These retainers are hard to find. They don't show up in the "official" parts catalog for 1971, so can't get a Chrysler part number.

If you know what they really look like, or have even one of them, you might get lucky at a Mopar swap meet. I assume you have tried ebay, Year One, Classic Industries, Roseville Moparts, Dante's, etc.

You may have to improvise.

steved
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Re: GTX emblem retainers

Post by steved » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:01 am

Thanks for the help!

I have two of them with my original emblems. I need 4. They look exactly like the little red 3/16" ones sold, but they're black and they're bigger, becasue the stud on the emblem is 3/16" on its own. I was considering metal ones, but they'll just rust and mess up the paint, and rust more. Plastic is the way to go, IMO. I'll hit my local true value, they have a TON of stuff like this in the little hardware bins.

sjd
1971 GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold.