Air canister for AC vents door lock

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

wejewill
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)
My Cars: 1972 rm23 with GY8 color, D13 three on the floor, with a 440 4bbl, 323 gears, made in St. Louis plant LOVE IT!

Air canister for AC vents door lock

Post by wejewill » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:14 pm

I am probably not using the right terminology, but I am in the long process of still putting back together my 72 Road Runner with factory air. The question pertains to the vacuum reservoir image provided in the previous thread http://www.roadrunnernest.com/forum/vie ... ter#p23776
Do I need one of these to operate the doors inside the box and maintain the proper vacuum. Again, I am trying to sound smart here, but not sure this is describing what I need. I looked at my fender well underneath the battery tray and see no holes for bolts to be threaded into like pictures in the link above. My car is a 72 RR, 400 with ac and a manual 3 speed on the floor. If I do need one where can I buy one. Next question, I had the car painted and while it was being painted I lost the door cylinder lock, clip and the little rod that goes from the cylinder lock to the door mechanism to unlock the door. Can someone help me out with where to replace those pieces too?
Thanks for the expertise advice in advance. :help:
Jeff

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Re: Air canister for AC vents door lock

Post by 71bird » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:32 pm

According to the thread you posted 72 didn't use those cans. Do you have a factory service manual?
71 Road Runner - J68

wejewill
My Cars: 1972 rm23 with GY8 color, D13 three on the floor, with a 440 4bbl, 323 gears, made in St. Louis plant LOVE IT!

Post by wejewill » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:55 pm

No, I do not have a factory service manual so I am at a loss as far a researching what is needed.

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Post by 71bird » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:27 pm

Maybe some others will chime in on this, but the best thing you can do if you are going to work on these cars is to get a manual when you get the chance. Sometimes it's almost impossible to do it otherwise.
71 Road Runner - J68

wejewill

Post by wejewill » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:50 pm

Ok! Hopefully someone will, but I will continue researching.
Thanks for the advice.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Post by rr6pak » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:45 pm

http://www.mymopar.com

Download for free body and service manual.

If you don't have holes for the can, the car didn't have it. If your car has A/C, then more than likely it had a cable going to the water valve which would be on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

wejewill

Post by wejewill » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:16 pm

Thanks for the advice. I know we aren't suppose to discuss other sites.But, I went on My______r.com and could not find an AC wiring diagram, I did find many diagrams but not the AC? Do you happen to have the image?? Pretty please,
Thanks Jeff

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

Post by rr6pak » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:38 pm

"A/C wiring"? Are you looking for the electrical wiring for it or actual pictures, what? If you download the manuals from that site, its in chapter 24 (?) and or "accessories". Go to the thread you posted. I can see where mine are at but it will be the same as the manuals

Do you have the holes on the drivers side inner fender? These are holes that should be under the battery tray. If not, then the vacuum was/should be "teed" off from the intake manifold. This "tee" will depend on what all is on the car. I.E-if you have power brakes, the booster will have a tube going to it. Air Grabber, etc.

Your heater controls is it cable operated?

wejewill

Post by wejewill » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:31 pm

Yes, the heater is cable controlled. I cannot find the service manual you are referencing. I found body, accessory, wiring manuals and I they do not have the info you talked about on page 24but it does not show the wiring for the AC for under the hood or under the dash. Also, I know I am being greedy but is there a schematic for the vacuum lines? If you have pictures that would also be great tool as well.
Thanks so much for the help. I was able to take her out of the garage today for a short drive. YEAH:) I put on a refurbed Thermo Quad, SWEET! I am trying to keep her as original as possible. AC I kept all of my parts.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

Post by rr6pak » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:29 am

wejewill wrote:Yes, the heater is cable controlled. I cannot find the service manual you are referencing. I found body, accessory, wiring manuals and I they do not have the info you talked about on page 24but it does not show the wiring for the AC for under the hood or under the dash. Also, I know I am being greedy but is there a schematic for the vacuum lines? If you have pictures that would also be great tool as well.
Thanks so much for the help. I was able to take her out of the garage today for a short drive. YEAH:) I put on a refurbed Thermo Quad, SWEET! I am trying to keep her as original as possible. AC I kept all of my parts.
First, did you download ALL of the manuals to your computer? Body, Service, wiring. It is in the service manual of mymopar.com all of them are.

Second-It's not page 24 CHAPTER 24-Heating and A/C

Third-You will have to do what we ALL do and that is to put your nose in the book and look for what you need or just to get familiar with everything. Take notes if need be. We all had to do this. Once you have then come back with questions you might have. And no I'm not trying to be an ass but I have my own project to work on.

Please refer "wiring" to the cable operation of the A/C system. You're confusing anyone who reads this by calling it wiring. Your box is CABLE operated and not "wiring". Yes, it's in the book as well

wejewill

Post by wejewill » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:01 am

I would not think that I was able to find the Chapter 24. I will do my studying thanks.

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:20 pm

A cable operated water valve A/C system, ’72 and up, did not use a vacuum reservoir originaly.

quapman
GTX (RS)

Post by quapman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:17 am

You might have more success researching 71-3 E body A/C systems. They are identical to the 72 B bodies.