Steering Column Conversion

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

mrsnicks
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus

Steering Column Conversion

Post by mrsnicks » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:23 pm

So I've already changed my 1971 Plymouth SSP 318/auto from a column shift to a floor/slap stick shift at least from a transmission perspective.

I have the parts to change the column itself over. In reading the FSM it seems there are 2 tools I should be using C-4044/Steering Shaft Remover and C-4113/Steering Shaft to Lock Plate Pin Tool.

The book specifically says "DO NOT HAMMER" the Lock Plate Pin.

Pages 19-39 & 19-40.

How are you guys removing the lock plate pin and the steering shaft?

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX
72 cuda repli-mod

Re: Steering Column Conversion

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:12 pm

I made my own steering shaft removal tool. Looks a little different from the one in the FSM, but does the job. Basically a specialized wheel puller. You'd need access to a machine shop to make one.

They tell you not to bang the pin out because it may, and probably will damage the bearings. If you can replace the bearings, particularly the upper one, then go ahead and knock the pin out with a drift punch.

I saw these tools available on ebay a while ago, but there don't seem to be any now. Maybe elsewhere.

mrsnicks
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus

Post by mrsnicks » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:26 pm

I was wondering if maybe a punch and a C-Clamp. Want to loan me your tool? :beer:

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:57 am

In looking at the FSM again a little closer, something is not right in their diagram for Valiant and Satellite. Mine is like the Barracuda, except the "can" isn't telescoping.

My steering wheel does not mount from the center, it has 3 studs sticking out of the can that hold it on, using 3 nuts. The tool I made is to remove the can from the shaft. Just taking off the center nut isn't enough, as the can is pressed on. I guess its the equivalent of their tool # C-3428B.