Who Uses What to Contain Rust?

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX
72 cuda repli-mod

Who Uses What to Contain Rust?

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:07 pm

Just wondering what people are using to arrest and seal any rusty areas which are not being cut out and replaced for whatever reason.

I've been working on the undercarriage, wheel wells, and other "non-visible" areas.

My approach has been:

1. Sand/wire-wheel/scrape off loose rust scale.
2. Treat with a phosphate. I use both manganesed-phospholene and POR Metal Prep, which I believe is zinc phosphate. Sometimes I have skipped this step. Even though POR recommends doing it, it seems to me that POR-15 sticks better directly over rust.
3. Scotch-bright to remove any loose converted rust and scuff adjacent areas.
4. Paint with POR-15
5. Spray with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator
6. Spray on rubberized undercoat if appropriate.

Process varies depending on accessibility.

I've been spraying inside frame rails with Eastwood Internal Frame Coating after blowing out debris.

I've seen mention of other products, such as Zero Rust, Rust Bullet, and USC All Metal, which I have no knowledge of.

Who can enlighten me?

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Re: Who Uses What to Contain Rust?

Post by dangina » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:18 am

nothing but por-15 for me!
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:03 pm

Before containing the rust try to eliminate it! Get a pressure blaster and blast the rust off to clean metal. There are basically two types of rust products, The ones that just cover it and the ones that neutralize it. The ones that neutralize/convert it is the better way. Just covering it is not stopping it from doing more damage down the road.

http://www.eastwood.com/blog/diy-how-to ... apsulator/

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:18 pm

Not to be argumentative, but I'd have to take exception. The only benefit to eliminating existing rust (other than cosmetics) is that it can harbor a slight amount of moisture, even when dry. Products such as POR-15 are intended to create a barrier that neither air nor moisture can penetrate. Thus, as long as the barrier is intact, the unrusted metal within is safe. Rust does not beget more rust. Oxygen is the culprit - iron oxide is the result.

I assume by pressure blast, you mean media blast, like sand, glass bead, walnut shell...... I don't have that option at this time.

The phosphates I mentioned are rust converters. If rusted metal is kept wet long enough with these types of product, the rust is completely dissolved and becomes part of the phosphate-salt compound that forms on the surface, like a shell. Otherwise, undissolved rust remains beneath the shell. Water can penetrate the shell if it is wet long enough.

The purpose of my question was to see if anyone uses something they really like, or think works better than POR-15 to seal off rust, hence stopping further progression

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:31 am

Yes i was referring to the pressure blasters that eastwood and others sell. The media you use depends on it's use. You can also get an attachment to put on a pressure washer nozzle that adds sand(or other media) to remove paint/rust. Remove it completely is the best bet and use a good epoxy primer. Then you don't have to worry about it coming back. :D

http://www.eastwood.com/blog/tag/blasting/

https://youtu.be/f87jqnbELfY