Replacement radiator

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

jonny0666
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1971 Satellite/Road Runner

Replacement radiator

Post by jonny0666 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:44 am

So, I am building my 71 with a big block. Had the radiator tested the other day, and i was hoping to get away with some luck. Unfortunately, no such luck. I believe the guy referenced swiss cheese. Eventually, i'd like to get it re-cored... however for now I am just looking for a fairly inexpensive replacement. Any recommendations on companies, websites, vendors? Thanks.

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Re: Replacement radiator

Post by 71bird » Fri May 13, 2016 7:53 am

I have heard that a lot of people use Champion for radiators, but the draw back is they don't just bolt on and require a lot of drilling or grinding to make it fit. Your best bet would be to send your radiator to Glen Ray for repair or replacement. They are the best radiator company to deal with.
71 Road Runner - J68

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Sat May 14, 2016 7:52 am

Not sure if you will find a "cheap" replacement that fits. Did they give you a quote for a recore job on it?

jonny0666
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1971 Satellite/Road Runner

Post by jonny0666 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:05 pm

quoted me around $550... just don't have it in my budget right now. I guess I'll just have to start saving...

krwfarms
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1971 plymouth satellite sebring.
1977 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ.
1969 Dodge D200
1975 Dodge Coronet Brougham 2 dr

Post by krwfarms » Tue May 17, 2016 2:44 pm

Keep looking around. I was going to buy one off ebay for $170. Then I found a clearance one on Rock Auto for $60!! (plus shipping) For that price I was willing to do some cutting and drilling. None was needed, it fit right in. I had them swapped out in 30 min. Spectra was the brand I think. The box is out in my shed with the original one if you need me to check.

steved
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Post by steved » Tue May 17, 2016 2:59 pm

This is the aluminum one I have.

nice welds, fit pretty well, had to trim a tiny notch where it fit up against the pinch rail on my passenger side.

https://www.speedcooling.com/Mopar-Radiators/

sjd
1971 GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold.

rradar71
GTX (RS)

Post by rradar71 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:24 pm

A few years ago, I took some parts from my parts car to a local swap meet. Sold a few things and it was starting to get late and this guy stopped to look at my radiator, he said all he had left in his wallet was $20. I said take it, I wasn't loading it up again. It didn't have the factory markings, but it held pressure and came out of a running car. The point is, you never know what you might find if you look hard enough.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Post by rr6pak » Wed May 18, 2016 1:42 am

Here is some things to consider

There are debates on other Mopar web sites about aluminum vs. OE radiators as to which would be best, cost, with or without A/C, horse power, etc, etc. Glen Ray's radiators are top notch yet pricey but very informative even if you just call to inquire from them on your set up. I'm still weighing all my options as well and haven't made a final decision yet. I want to do it right the first time for my set up and enjoy my car, not go back. I know, easier said than not :)

Best advice is to do your homework because if you don't, it could cost you in the long run

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Wed May 18, 2016 8:31 am

Observations from a retired manufacturing engineer in the F0RD/Visteon/ACH radiator area for 24 years...

In general, aluminum radiators are more durable and much more corrosion resistant as made or used by the OEM. It is dependant upon thickness of aluminum, choice of alloys, and quality of the assembly and brazing process. However, with aftermarket radiators, you kind of have to rely on what other people have experienced.

In the functionality realm, radiators are designed to provide a specified amount of heat transfer under a set of standard conditions. It's desirable to keep the back pressure in the coolant circuit as low as possible.

When trying to choose a substitute radiator, I'd recommend going with a 3-row (aka 3 core) unit when the single core thickness is 5/8" (16 mm) or a 2-row unit if the single core is 1" (26mm). Extra cooling capacity has no adverse effects. With the right radiator and fan setup, an auxiliary electric fan shouldn't be necessary.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Post by rr6pak » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:46 pm

71_bronze_gtx wrote:Observations from a retired manufacturing engineer in the F0RD/Visteon/ACH radiator area for 24 years...

In general, aluminum radiators are more durable and much more corrosion resistant as made or used by the OEM. It is dependant upon thickness of aluminum, choice of alloys, and quality of the assembly and brazing process. However, with aftermarket radiators, you kind of have to rely on what other people have experienced.

In the functionality realm, radiators are designed to provide a specified amount of heat transfer under a set of standard conditions. It's desirable to keep the back pressure in the coolant circuit as low as possible.

When trying to choose a substitute radiator, I'd recommend going with a 3-row (aka 3 core) unit when the single core thickness is 5/8" (16 mm) or a 2-row unit if the single core is 1" (26mm). Extra cooling capacity has no adverse effects. With the right radiator and fan setup, an auxiliary electric fan shouldn't be necessary.
I want to go with a OEM radiator. Primarily for fit, finish, and function. The only drawback is It has to be able to keep a 500+ hp cool with A/C

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Post by 71bird » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:00 pm

If you want the OEM look then as far as I know Glen Rey is the only choice. It keeps my 528 cool even in stop and go traffic. There will always be some sort of sacrifice, OEM looks, which is the most expensive or non OEM looks which is cheaper. DO like the other guy said, call them and maybe they can make one with out the numbers. The insides of their radiator is not like a stock one.
71 Road Runner - J68