Doug's Header Install Questions

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

2Tone72RR
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Doug's Header Install Questions

Post by 2Tone72RR » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:11 am

Fairly close to installing our newly rebuilt 440 in our 72 RR. Bought a set of Doug's D452 ceramic coated headers a few months back to use with our build. Reading through the instructions it says not to use these headers for the break-in process as it can discolor the coating. After reading all the horror stories about installing headers in these cars the last thing I want to do is install the motor with something else (manifolds or old headers) and then take them off to install the new set.

What do you all think? We did not build an 800hp monster, more like 480-500. Will the heat during break-in mess up the coating? Never had coated headers before.

Also, I was thinking maybe we could lay the headers in as we install the motor and then not have to take the steering linkage off again as stated in instructions or fight the install so much. I would appreciate any input from you guys with experience with this.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Re: Doug's Header Install Questions

Post by rr6pak » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:37 pm

TTi's are the same way. Unless your motor was broken in already then go for it. If not broken in, follow the instructions, sorry. Use some old manifolds for break in or the ceramic coating will flake off, wasting $$$ to reapply the ceramic. Exhaust temps can get up to and above 1,200*F initially.

If the engine is out of your car, see if you can rig it up to fire before putting it in (with old set of manifolds BUT will be loud).