72 roadrunner gtx suspension

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

72gy8
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1972 GTX

72 roadrunner gtx suspension

Post by 72gy8 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:46 pm

I am restoring the front suspension for my 72 roadrunner gtx, what finishes should each part be? I have everything blasted and ready to be finished. I am think about having the k-frame powder coated satin black. Just want to know what control arms, steering box, sway bar and such should be powder coated or cleared.

Thanks
Jason

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Re: 72 roadrunner gtx suspension

Post by 71bird » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:18 pm

The steering box should be a low gloss black unless it is a manual box which is natural. Lower control arms were dipped in cosmoline while the uppers were natural. I think the sway bar was black ( not sure) and the attach brackets were natural.The torsion bars were dipped in gloss black. I can't remember everything, but this will be a good start. Most stuff back then was glosser than satin black maybe a 80 to 90% gloss. If you look at some old Mopar Action mags they will have some good pictures to go by. Most of the bolts were phosphate plated.
71 Road Runner - J68

72gy8
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1972 GTX

Post by 72gy8 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:40 pm

Thanks for the info!

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Post by rr6pak » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:53 pm

71bird wrote:The steering box should be a low gloss black unless it is a manual box which is natural. Lower control arms were dipped in cosmoline while the uppers were natural. I think the sway bar was black ( not sure) and the attach brackets were natural.The torsion bars were dipped in gloss black. I can't remember everything, but this will be a good start. Most stuff back then was glosser than satin black maybe a 80 to 90% gloss. If you look at some old Mopar Action mags they will have some good pictures to go by. Most of the bolts were phosphate plated.
I think it's vise versa on the gear boxes. My box is power and was natural when I pulled it. I put RPM on it to keep it that way. I agree with everything else as stated. It also depends on what the OP is going for as to what to do.

I powder coated my K (with re-enforcements), UPA, LCA, torsion bars, tranny cross member, rear end housing, everything under the car because I wanted. I'm not looking for OE because who is to say "what is OE?" With the different factories, people building, etc, there are many differences in everything to say "this is OE". Also, I'm building my car the way I want, not caring what anyone else's opinion is, just my opinion. I just wish I can figure out howto re-size pictures to have a topic on my build.

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Post by 71bird » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:40 pm

My power box was black and most of the one I see over on Moparts were black. He can do his any way he wants, but when he asked what they should be, I took that as how did it come from the factory, for the most part.
71 Road Runner - J68

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Post by dangina » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:05 pm

71bird wrote:My power box was black and most of the one I see over on Moparts were black. He can do his any way he wants, but when he asked what they should be, I took that as how did it come from the factory, for the most part.
I've had black power steering boxes, and natural manual boxes in my cars...all 71-72
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus