72 Satellite Sebring Plus Color + Brake upgrade questions

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

Pac J
Satellite Coupe (RL)

72 Satellite Sebring Plus Color + Brake upgrade questions

Post by Pac J » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Pac, I'm new here and I'm from Belgium (Europe).
I'm for some weeks now the new owner of a '72 Satellite Sebring Plus with a 400 Magnum engine. The car is for his age in good shape.
Just the lower door ends and some places on the bottom end of the car have some rust that need some work ... engine and transmission runs great, exhaust is nice and the interior is nearly perfect.
Nearly the same car like this one:
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http ... GgodIR4JWQ
Now I have some questions. The car has an very dark blue paint / bottom in gray. I has seen other Satellites on the net who have the same paint like the one in the link below... So I suppose the the dark blue paint is an original color.
Did anyone knows the name and color code of this blue color ? I want to repaint the car completely in this color ... because the chrome stripes are not in the best condition and the are even some of them who are missing ...

The other thing. I suppose the car has always his original brake system, with front disks and rear drums ... and without a brake booster ...
So I want to do something for a better brake performance. There are different upgrade kits for the Satellite , but apparently they are made for cars with a drum/drum system and doesn't offer better performance them the disks I have ...
So there is only a new brake booster and a new brake master cylinder to install ...
I have found 2 possibilities on ebay...
1. http://www.ebay.de/itm/161873452549?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT
2. http://www.ebay.de/itm/161567876864?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT
What is the best choice in your opinion ? Are this kits complete in your opinion ? The second has a adjustable proportioning valve with, the other not. Did I need this valve for my setup ? Has anyone already do this conversion ?
Where I can find the correct fittings for the brake lines of my Satellite to the master cylinder or the proportioning valve ? Did anybody know the exact dimensions that are needed ?

Thanks a lot for a bit help,

Pac

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Re: 72 Satellite Sebring Plus Color + Brake upgrade question

Post by 71bird » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:27 am

Hi, and welcome. Really the easiest thing and the only thing I would do is add a booster and proportioning valve. The proper name is combination valve. I think I would up grade to the Road Runner 11 inch drums in the back, but that would mean different backing plates ect. If you have 15 inch wheels you can go to the bigger rotors, but then that would mean the taller caliper brackets also. I don't like those eBay kits, cause they are derived from something like Chive or Phord parts, and usually don't work well with Mopars. I would stick with factory stuff cause it all works well together, and usually just bolts on. Unless you're going to race the car the factory stuff will be ok. One last thing, if you install a booster the brake pedal will end up close to the floor, don't worry cause the was how it was designed. Do you have a factory service manual, cause you need one, and the power brake mechanism from the pedal to the booster might be different from the manual brake cars.
71 Road Runner - J68

Pac J
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by Pac J » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:45 am

Hi 71bird,

Thank you for your answer ! Yes I have 15 inch Wheels on the car and no I don't want to race with. I'm just searching for a better and easier to handle brake setup ... Ok when I understand it right a proportioning / combination valve is needed.
Why I'm searching on ebay is very simple to understand. For me it is the easiest way for the shipping because of the ebay global shipping system ... Otherwise I would like to buy better parts but I need to find someone / a company that can put together a complete kit for me because if I have to order each part separately that will explode the price because of the shipping costs of each part... And even small parts like fittings, ... are hard to find because I suppose it's no metric stuff...

Are there digital copy's of the factory service manual or where I could find it ?

If someone has any recommendation it would be helpful ...

Thanks,

Pac

For the paint I thing I have found something in a thread below ... but a confirmation is always good ...

Moparlar
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 drag car, 72 440 6pack roadrunner my kids have a 71 gtx clone
And a roadrunner clone

Post by Moparlar » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:15 am

If the car is already disc/drum, shouldnt it have the combination valve and only need the booster?
1970 440 6 pack 4 speed Superbird
1971 drag car
1972 440 6pack Roadrunner

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Post by 71bird » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:51 pm

I think you are correct on that. It should have a combination valve already, but I don't know if manual and power are different. If you go to moparts forum and ask over there there is a place to down load the parts and service manual. I don't know what it is though.
Last edited by 71bird on Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
71 Road Runner - J68

Pac J
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by Pac J » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:50 pm

@ Moparlar

You should be right. I'm not a mechanic but I have taken some pictures now and there is something under the master cylinder and I suppose it is the combination valve ? Do you think it is better to take a new one or is this a wear free part ?

Has someone an idea who to buy a good booster conversion kit ? or should the one in my first ebay link be okay ?

Thanks,
Pac

For the paint number or name : Is it possible that the paint code is 2302 "Evening blue Poly"

Pac J
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by Pac J » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:55 pm

@ 71bird

What is "moppets four" . Sorry I don't know ... :roll:
Did you have a link ...

Thanks,
Pac

71bird
GTX (RS)

Post by 71bird » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:22 pm

Sorry, but my computer corrected it wrong. It's moparts forum, just do a search and you will have to join like here. As far as the bay stuff goes, in my option I think you'll be sorry if you buy that stuff. Yes that is the correct combo valve. I would try to find somebody to rebuild it, there are springs and seals etc. that are 40 years old.
71 Road Runner - J68

mrsnicks
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus

Post by mrsnicks » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:50 pm

I had a 71 Charger with drum power front. I bought this, http://www.ebay.de/itm/70-71-Mopar-E-bo ... xyaTxRXEba and a new master/booster combo from the local parts store. Also scored original spindle assemblies and bought new rotors, calipers, etc...

Pac J
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by Pac J » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:59 pm

@ mrsnicks
That sound good. I already have the disks ... Did you have a part number for master and booster ?
The 71 and 72 B-Bodys should have the same setup or not ?

Pac

71bird
GTX (RS)

Post by 71bird » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:38 pm

The valve above is not correct for your car, so the lines may not hook up. See if you can find some to rebuild your original.Yes 71 and 72 should have the same booted and master cylinder. Masters can be had at most auto parts store, and maybe the boosters as well.
71 Road Runner - J68

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Post by dangina » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:31 pm

the aftermarket brake system that'll give you better than oem I would go with Dr.Diff, he's a really good guy and his parts work. check him out:

http://www.doctordiff.com/
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

Pac J
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by Pac J » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:40 pm

Thank you very much for all your helpful posts :beer:

I'm have found out a bit more about the origin booster and master cylinder. It seems to be a combination like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Brake-Boo ... ln&vxp=mtr

That seem to be the part I could take to have a perfect fit or not ? It's made for front disk and rear drums like I have on my car ...
Do someone know if I would need other parts to install this in change of my actually manual master cylinder or could I just screw out the old one and install the booster and the new master cylinder in place ?

Thanks for your help,

Pac

Moparlar
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 drag car, 72 440 6pack roadrunner my kids have a 71 gtx clone
And a roadrunner clone

Post by Moparlar » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:06 pm

I think the valve is the same I can look up tomorrow and see. At 1 time I had an original chrysler booster and master conversion kit but I have to see if i still have it.

Larry
1970 440 6 pack 4 speed Superbird
1971 drag car
1972 440 6pack Roadrunner

71bird
GTX (RS)

Post by 71bird » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:21 pm

That is a Midland Ross booster and is what you want. There is a funny looking bell crank that connects the pedal to the booster that you might need. I don't think manual brakes had it.
71 Road Runner - J68