Help replacing Headlight switch and instrument bulbs

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

sooopr
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1974 Roadrunner 400 with sunroof

Help replacing Headlight switch and instrument bulbs

Post by sooopr » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:07 pm

A little help please! I have a 74 Roadrunner and I need help in how to replace the headlight switch and 2 of the instrument bulbs. It's a rally dash.

Magnes
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus - Rallye Red
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring - Green - Parts Car
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring - Tan

Re: Help replacing Headlight switch and instrument bulbs

Post by Magnes » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:36 pm

Those headlight switches are a bit tricky at first but once you figure out how to do it, it is a snap.

To get at the headlight switch you should remove the AC heater control in order to make room for your hand. Doing this MAY allow you enough room to get at those last 2 bulbs you need to replace. Be careful with that stuff and DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!!

(From what I can remember) You'll have to reach around behind the dash cluster to get at the back of that switch with one hand... Feel around til you find the headlight switch. On the top of the switch there is a small button/tab. You push that tab in and, using your other hand on the outside of the dash, pull out on the ON/OFF headlight switch/dimmer KNOB. The knob is mounted on a long metal rod and the knob and rod will just slide right out of the dash once you do it right. Once you have the knob out of the way, its easy as pie to replace the switch itself. I used a large flat head screwdriver to unscrew it from the gauge pod assembly (while reaching behind and holding the switch firmly from the back side). Unplug the electrical connection and pull out the old switch. Slip the new switch in and reverse the procedure.

If you STILL can't get at those last 2 bulbs you can unbolt the steering column easily and make MORE room. If you STILL can't get at them.... Hell.... Pull the cluster.

Best of luck to you. Be careful. Don't forget to disconnect the battery.

sooopr
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by sooopr » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:16 am

Thanks! Great advice. One of the bulbs is the farthest to the right of that ac control unit. I'm hoping I can reach that far.Where are the bulbs situated exactly? What if I took off the faux wood gauge cover? Would that get me to the bulbs?

I have another question for you. If the power windows are malfunctioning meaning the rear windows work intermittently and the front windows a little more consistently, would it be the actual buttons that need replacing or the relays behind the buttons? Or is it all one unit?

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Post by dangina » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:23 pm

pulling the cluster is the easiest to change the bulbs, I'd suggest you do the headlamp relay upgrade while your at it, it is very easy to do, makes your lights brighter, its easy on your bulkhead connector
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

sooopr
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by sooopr » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:23 am

Thanks! Can you help on how to pull the cluster? Is it all done from the screws in the front? Where do i start and what needs to come off before I get to the bulbs? Is it all one piece?