Anyone here used Auto Metal Direct bumpers?

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

unionjack1940
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Road Runner

Anyone here used Auto Metal Direct bumpers?

Post by unionjack1940 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:17 am

My car is in the shop right now and I have the stock front bumper. However, to re chrome it will be nearly $1000. I was thinking about purchasing a reproduction front bumper to save on costs and I heard about these guys at AMD and have seen their product in person. Look really nice. Anyone have any experience or purchase history with these products?
Plymouth Makes It

steved
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Re: Anyone here used Auto Metal Direct bumpers?

Post by steved » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:57 pm

Personally, no, but there's a thread around here somewhere with a beautiful orange car in it...

sjd
1971 GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold.

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:46 am

I have not used or seen them. But from what i have seen over the years the replated bumpers(depending on who does it!) have a better chrome finish than a "oem"/reproduction or nos piece. A nos piece for example is mass produced so the quality is good but not like a quality replated one. The imperfections are cleaned up in a specialty plating shop so they don't show in the final chrome plating. Also with epa regulations some states can't use some chemicals in the plating process so quality of the finish may show. If it where me i would contact AMD and see if anyone could shoot a video of the bumper to see the quality or possibly they could bring one to a local event(car show/swap meet) so you could look at it. Not sure who quoted you a grand to do your bumper but that seems a bit much. All replating company's are NOT the same so do your homework! You may look into other places that can give a quality finish with out breaking the bank. Here is some info in the plating process...

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/chrome.html

unionjack1940
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by unionjack1940 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:52 pm

thanks for the help!
Plymouth Makes It

steved
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Post by steved » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:08 pm

1971 GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold.

unionjack1940
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by unionjack1940 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:28 pm

thanks!
Plymouth Makes It

quapman
GTX (RS)

Post by quapman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:07 pm

Bruce just got a pair for his 71 and seems pretty happy with them.

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:03 am

quapman wrote:Bruce just got a pair for his 71 and seems pretty happy with them.

Shhhh! I was gonna wait until I got them on the car and could take some pictures... :D The front will be simple, unbolt the old and bolt on the new. The rear I'm going to want to take everything apart and blast the brackets, clean up the tail light housings, etc. Also have to order and install the tail light black out decals on the rear. Yes, so far I'm happy with them, but they are still in the boxes. Once I have them installed then I can speak to fit and ease of installation, etc. I sure have zero complaints thus far about the chrome finish.
Bruce Anliker

Magnes
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus - Rallye Red
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring - Green - Parts Car
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring - Tan

Post by Magnes » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:40 am

steved wrote:Personally, no, but there's a thread around here somewhere with a beautiful orange car in it...

sjd

The orange car is mine. Thanks for the compliment Steve.

Yeah I bought one of the first AMD repro front bumpers. I ordered one for a 71 but the one they sent was a 72 bumper in a 71 box. Only difference was that the 72's have "bumper slots" for those old bumper jacks and the 71 bumper does not. Either way, my car is a 72 so it was fine. I did contact AMD to let them know about that situation. I haven't heard of anyone else having that problem though.

As far as the quality of the bumper, it's excellent. The fit is spot on. The chrome is really good and I imagine it is what you got when the car was new... Not triple dip super lustrous chrome but hey, you're getting the whole bumper for $400. You can go out and spend up to $1000 having your old one re-chromed but even going that route doesn't always work out.

Hope that helps.