time to check heater core and expansion valve

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

wejewill
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)
My Cars: 1972 rm23 with GY8 color, D13 three on the floor, with a 440 4bbl, 323 gears, made in St. Louis plant LOVE IT!

time to check heater core and expansion valve

Post by wejewill » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:28 pm

:D I am getting ready to start checking to see if my heater/A/C under dash plenum and the new expansion valve. I have a few (ok a lot of questions). I have the car for ten years now and I want to make the AC and heating units work. I have never even checked them to see if they work or hold water. I bought new nipples from a vendor one 1/2 inch the other 5/8 diameter. There are three plugs in the water pump which of two do I use? Next question is I bought this part http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORS-1971-74-CH ... bc&vxp=mtr it is cable operated I do not see a vacuum line anywhere like I was reading from other previous posts. So my next question is after I connect the heater hoses, expansion valve, and plug the heater hoses to the plenum what should happen with the motor running? This system was not operating when I bought the car ten years ago and I have never attempted checking the operation of the system. Also, I noticed that the blower motor has the wire coming out of it but I do not have the connection to the fuse box another issue, I am sure? Any pictures of where the hoses go and wiring hook up or other information would be greatly appreciated.
A man working hard to revive a beautiful bird,
Jeff
PS I just got a call from SMS Auto Fabric my new interior DX9 panels are finished and being shipped today.

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Re: time to check heater core and expansion valve

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:09 am

First, let’s get the terms correct, in this post and a previous one, you refer to an “expansion valve”, it appears you are talking about the heater control valve. The expansion valve is part of the A/C system, is a different part altogether. Heater control valves in ’72 are cable controlled directly from the heater/AC control. ’71 used a vacuum controlled heater valve. As mentioned, the original design was made of bakelite, or plastic and proved not to hold up well to engine compartment heat, especially with HP exhaust manifolds. Later replacement valves are all metal and will work well but tend to look out of place IMO. Blower motor green wire connected to a single wire that ran to bulk head connector #4, part of the back-up light wiring. Motor grounds to one of the wiper motor mounting studs.
Hose nipple locations on a big block;
Original style heater control valve with heat shield added;

wejewill
My Cars: 1972 rm23 with GY8 color, D13 three on the floor, with a 440 4bbl, 323 gears, made in St. Louis plant LOVE IT!

Post by wejewill » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:20 am

Thanks Soooo Much. I try to act like I know what I am talking about. I fool some people :D . I see now where to put the hoses and nipples. I also see you have the 134a compressor on your car. Did you piece the system together or did you buy a system and if so from whom and was it kinda of easy to do?

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
1972 Satellite Sebring

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:21 pm

Piecing together a R134 system on this car, including fabricating the mounting brackets. Bought a complete under hood kit from Bouchillon Performance for the RR/GTX resto a few years back, pretty happy with it other than the all rubber hoses included. Fabricated hard lines for that project.

wejewill

Post by wejewill » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:25 pm

Would you happen to have a picture of how the wires look when they are attached in their proper locations for the blower motor? I do not have the wire to connect the blower to the bulk head? In your one picture I can barely see the wires coming out of the blower motor. Also, what is what look like a rubber tube pointing up and being held in place by a strap for? Pic "Original style heater control valve with heat shield added;"
Thanks so much. I put the new heater valve in and the hoses they look great.
Jeff

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
1972 Satellite Sebring

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:06 am

Can’t locate a good pic just now, two wires coming from the blower motor, black & green. Black is the ground and should have a ring terminal on it that goes under a wiper motor mounting nut. Green should have a single male Packard connector with insulator that connects to a dark green wire coming from the bulk head connector as described previously. Not much to it.
The rubber hose is just that, vacuum supply line to the A/C controls, from the intake fitting, passing through the firewall just below the blower motor.
Found this one;

wejewill

Post by wejewill » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:50 am

Thanks so much I am now on a hunt to find that wire and the rubber tube you talked about. Do you know what the connection is to the bulk head? :D

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
1972 Satellite Sebring

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:23 am

Blower motor green wire connected to a single wire that ran to bulk head connector, pin location #4, part of the back-up light wiring