72 Roadrunner Parts Color Questions

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

2Tone72RR
Satellite Coupe (RL)

72 Roadrunner Parts Color Questions

Post by 2Tone72RR » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:57 am

Ok, so I used SEM bumper coater on my 72 grille and it turned out really nice. I am very happy with it. Now what about these pieces:

1. Front turn signal lens surrounds? Ours appear to be the same greyish color as the grille. Is that correct?

2. Lower valence grille where the front license plate would go? On our car it is black and I think it is original.

3. Rear tail light surrounds? Ours are definitely black with no hint of another color but I have seen NOS ones listed on Ebay that appear to be the same greyish color as the front grille. Which is correct?

Sorry for all the questions but I have found there is a wealth of knowledge here that has made many parts of our restoration much easier and a previous owner obviously took some personal liberties with his paint color choices. If the grey color is correct on the front signals and rear tail lights should I use the same SEM bumper coater or is there another product that is a closer match?

Thanks for the help guys.

ILUV72RRs
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 340 Road Runner, 1972 400 Road Runner

Re: 72 Roadrunner Parts Color Questions

Post by ILUV72RRs » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:46 am

Yes to all 3 of your questions. '72 Road Runner tail light lenses all have black surrounds. It's one of the quick ways when I'm looking at a picture of one to detect if it is a tribute car or the real deal, or if it is real makes me wonder if it was in an accident at one time. I have seen two different shades of gray (original) light and dark so I don't know if they changed at some point in the year or if there was two different ones used for the regular different Satellite models as I never paid that much attention to their details. Others here I'm sure will jump in with answers.

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:09 pm

Have to disagree a bit on that ’72 grill color being used anywhere else. Front turn signal surrounds are regular Argent Silver. The Satellite tail light surrounds are a dark grey, black for the lens used on Road Runners.

2Tone72RR
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by 2Tone72RR » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:29 am

Thanks for the info! Now just to find the time to get them done.