'71 Rear Bumper, Steering Column, and Windshield Removal

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

omarofuae
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Roadrunner

'71 Rear Bumper, Steering Column, and Windshield Removal

Post by omarofuae » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:56 pm

Hello,

The name is Omar and I am a total newbie when it comes to restorations. I recently started work on my '71 bird. I am currently in the process of removing the rear bumper. I removed the gas tank, the license plate holder, and the taillight lenses. I can get to the two bolts closer to the center easily, but how do I get the ones on the outside? Should I remove lower valance or do it from inside the wheel well?

Also, I am in the process of removing my dash, and the steering column has to come out for that. Do I need to disconnect the gear linkage or does it slip through it?

Finally, I got the lower trim piece of the windshield, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the trim that goes around the top. Do I need a special piece of equipment for that?

Thanks,

steved
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Re: '71 Rear Bumper, Steering Column, and Windshield Removal

Post by steved » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:22 am

Welcome!!

The first rule of restoration: DON'T GET DISCOURAGED. Rely on the forums if you can't figure something out, or something goes wrong.

Your steering column should disconnect from 3 places. 1. at the steering box. there's a spring pin that needs to be hammered out. 2. at the firewall (3 bolts) 3. under the dash. 3 more bolts.

As a newbie to restorations here's a couple tips I learned in the past 6 years of working on my car:

- Buy ziploc bags that you can write on and take the extra minute and write a good description of EVERYTHING that goes in each bag.

- Take pictures, they're pretty much free, you can't take enough pictures to remind you of how things go together.

- Stick to the plan. whatever plan to whatever level of build you plan to do, do that. "while I was in there" syndrome ran pretty rampant in my build.

- it will take longer than you've planned. I'm currently double my estimate of how long I thought this was going to take me (mostly due to the cost of "while im in here, i'll just order and replace...")

- it will be more expensive than you've planned. (did I mention "while I was in there...")

as for your windshield, there's a "windshield trim removal tool" it's like a funny shaped arrow with a handle.

sjd
1971 GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold.

redline337
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 71 Satellite Sebring RH

Post by redline337 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:37 am

The rear bumper brackets unbolt from inside the trunk. I can't remember off the top of my head is there are 4 or 8 bolts and/or nuts that hold it on.

GTX158
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)
My Cars: 71 Plymouth GTX (FC7 In-Violet)

Post by GTX158 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:13 am

The rear bumper comes off the best with bumper brackets, there should be 3 bolts on the right and left side, and 1 nut on the right and left side in your trunk. The studs on the brackets help support the bumper as you remove or install it. Hope this helps.