Aluminum Radiators

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

gary
GTX (RS)
My Cars: '71 GTX Gold Leaf Met.440 A/T

Re: Aluminum Radiators

Post by gary » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:03 am

Another option is to have an original Recored about 400.00-500.00
Better than the Chinese Aluminium Garbage on the market these days. Just Sayin! :beer:

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:53 am

Perspective on the cost of radiators. I worked for 24 years in the radiator dept. of a tier 1 auto supplier that used to be part of that company with the ford-letter name.

Modern radiators use plastic tanks rather than aluminum tanks, which is a material cost save. There is a gasket between the tank and the core header. The header has tabs which are folded over to compress the tank against the gasket and hold it on.

An aluminum tank could be installed the same way, although I've never seen one. They can be brazed on, or welded on. More costly process.

Our internal cost to produce the biggest, heaviest radiator we made in 2014 (plant closed that year) was about $60. This was medium rate mass production on a line that made about 100 radiators per hour.

These radiators went into new production cars and could be bought at a dealer parts and service dept. for well over $300. How's that for markup?

Aftermarket radiators that are visually an exact reproduction of a Chrysler product would be low-volume production with inherently high cost. But $800. Yow.

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Post by dangina » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:10 pm

I just went with the 4 core aluminum champion rad and its sub par fit, and spray painted black, looks awesome! I think it was like $230 shipped, seemed like a no brainer

400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus