Restoration Mistakes

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Restoration Mistakes

Post by Dave » Mon May 02, 2005 12:18 pm

Ok, Here is a link to a current auction for a 71 Road Runner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=43921

While it's a really sharp looking car, it does have a few of the common restoration mistakes. I'm curious how many everyone here can pick out on it.

Let's keep this nice, no negative comments about whoever did the restoration or anything. Only looking for a CONSTRUCTIVE critique here.

So, what do you see that isn't quite right on this car?

-----------------------------------------
UPDATE: Here's what has been mentioned so far:

1. Incorrect transmisison pan
2. Incorrect exhaust hanger(s)
3. Incorrect location and type of fender Pentastar emblem
4. Incorrect heat riser color
5. Incorrect rear valance for bright exhaust tips
6. Incomplete blackout behind grille
7. A/C components missing
8. Incorrect hood pop-up spring color
9. Incorrect strobe stripe placement
10. Incorrect battery
11. Incorrect color plug wires
12. Addition of ECU (should be points)
13. Incorrect tires (radials)
14. Incorrect hood inserts color
15. Incorrect grille color
16. Incorrect wheel size
17. Incorrect jack hook color
18. Incorrect air cleaner
19. Incorrect dash and column paint
20. Incorrect door panels
21. Addition of bright exhaust tips
Last edited by Dave on Thu May 05, 2005 11:14 am, edited 6 times in total.
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

71440 gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 gtx 71 340 duster
Location: I am here, or is it there? GIF image (animated, 49 frames)

Post by 71440 gtx » Mon May 02, 2005 9:24 pm

correct me if i'm wrong, wheel lip moldings, wrong oil pan,the muffler hanger,
and i think the stars in the wrong place, also i think its not black paint behind the grill the rear valance for the tips the chrome taillight bezels :beer:
71 gtx 440 4speed air grabber blue on blue with white vinyl roofOption cassette player

Plymouth's gonna getcha!
There are 3 things that will live forever, cockroaches, Keith Richards, & slant 6

RRUNR3

Post by RRUNR3 » Mon May 02, 2005 9:25 pm

I'm no expert, but I'll take a stab at it.

Would the wheel lip moldings be incorrect? I believe they were only for the GTX.

In the engine compartment, I'll say the big block heat riser should be colored black.

This seems like fun and I'll be glad to see if I am right or appreciate it if I'm corrected. I'm also interested to know what other items are mistakes.

Great idea for a post, Dave.

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

Stobe RR

Post by CtownRunner » Tue May 03, 2005 6:32 am

The Road Runner name on the Strobe stripe below the runner bird should be a raised chrome piece not a vinyl cutout.

Ctown

Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave » Tue May 03, 2005 8:49 am

Glad you guys are enjoying this. Again, like I said, it's not to tear down what looks to be a really nice car, but to test ourselves on what is correct as far as these cars go.

To answer a few points, yes WOM's are correct for the 71's They weren't available on the 70's (and I'm not sure about the 68-69's but I'm guessing not). However in 71, they were standard on the Road Runner.

Chris, the raised emblems for the quarter panels were only for the non-strobe stripe cars. The last strobe of the stripe with the running bird and the lettering cut out (to show in the body color of the car) is correct.

71440gtx, were you meaning it's missing the chrome tail light bezels? Those were only on the GTX and the Satellite Sebring Plus. None of the rest of the line got them.

Yes, the pentastar isn't quite in the right place (they are much closer to centered between the wheel opening and the door). Also it appears to be one of the "stick on" emblems rather than the correct pin style ones.

I'm wasn't going to mention the transmission pan or the exhaust, but those that did have a valid point.

Good eye for the incorrect blackout behind the grille. Old rule of thumb is, that from straight on, you should never see body color through a grille. Orignally that all depended on how good of a day the guy who did the blackout paint was having. ;)

Incorrect rear valance for the tips is more common simply because the correct valances are becoming tougher to find. I just posted on yesterday in the eBay of the Day, it's not rusted, but it's beat. Even so, I'm sure it will still bring a decent price.

I'm not 100% sure on the heat riser. I'll have to take a closer look at my Sebring Plus tonight. ;)

What I'm going to do is to put a list of stuff that's already been identified as part of my inital post, so we don't get into repeating ourselves.

Good job guys. :beer: There are still a number more that I saw. Keep going!
Dave

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Tue May 03, 2005 10:26 am

Okay, other than what's been mentioned... Just HOW correct do we wanna get--concours correct? Here's a few things I notice--doesn't have the underhood AC components (H51 on the tag), black hood inserts for the call outs, the stripe over the top is too far back--correct placement is CLOSER to the side windows so the bird logo falls closer to the wheelhouse centerline, orange not black spark plug wires, after-market battery.

Also, did the hood latch spring get painted body color or is it left natural steel like this one? And was the distributor hold down cad plated or was it painted with the engine? Oh, and orange box electronic ignition--common upgrade but not "correct".

And at an AACA show he'd get docked points for radial tires (even the spare here) on a car originally equipped with bias plys (yeah I know, I wouldn't drive on bias plys anymore either!)

Fun game Dave, let's play some more! :) FWIW, this is picking nits on a nice car I'd have in a heartbeat! (even if it IS blue!) :D
Last edited by bruce on Wed May 04, 2005 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Anliker

Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave » Tue May 03, 2005 4:44 pm

Way to go Bruce. You hit one of the big ones. Yes, the strobe stripe isn't quite in the right place. On this car, it looks like they attempted to center the stripe on the c-pillar between the back edge and the quarter window. The correct placement would center the bottom strobe above the wheelhouse, and the stripe, as you said, does come a LOT closer to the quarter window.

Yea, all the A/C stuff is missing, so we should mention that, along with the rest of your underhood points.

For some reason, I can't remember for sure if the pop-up spring should be body color or not. I do think it should be, but I'll check when I get home tonight.

I'll add these to the list at the top. Come on guys, there's one more BIG one that nobody has mentioned, and a couple more you can pick out if you look closely at the pic's. :)
Dave

71440 gtx
GTX (RS)

71 rr

Post by 71440 gtx » Tue May 03, 2005 5:42 pm

hi dave, what I ment to say is the chrome tail bezels are not suppost to be on a roadrunner. the all black grill and the orange Park Lights :beer:
71 gtx 440 4speed air grabber blue on blue with white vinyl roofOption cassette player

Plymouth's gonna getcha!
There are 3 things that will live forever, cockroaches, Keith Richards, & slant 6

71440 gtx
GTX (RS)

Post by 71440 gtx » Tue May 03, 2005 6:09 pm

chrome tail bezels are not on that 71 rr :oops: :lol: :beer:

Plymouth's gonna getcha!

RRUNR3

Post by RRUNR3 » Tue May 03, 2005 9:11 pm

I'll say that the wheels should be 14 inches. I believe the 15 inch wheels were only for the GTX.

1972RM23
GTX (RS)

Post by 1972RM23 » Wed May 04, 2005 10:57 am

I was going to say the strobe stripe on the c-pillar is centered and should be about and inch back from the window edge.

The grill is painted all black ....it should argent silver on the outside surround/lip and in the headlight bezels.

Steve
1972 Road Runner N96 EV2

71rm23
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Restoration Mistakes

Post by 71rm23 » Wed May 04, 2005 11:58 am

Hello, been following this forum for a while. Registered last night. This is an excellent idea. Great for everyone to gain more education!

Anyway, I noticed a few other things incorrect:

The front parking/turnsignal lenses should be Amber, based on production date.

The jack hook should be green

It has the incorrect year aircleaner assembly(looks like a 70)

It should have a telescoping antennae(71 the last year) not a fixed one

Hope my observations are correct--The car still is beautiful!

Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave » Wed May 04, 2005 1:33 pm

Good job everyone. :) I'm really happy to see the detailed level of knowledge we have here. I've added more items to the list at the top.

As far as the amber lense turn signals, for a March built car, they are correct. Best data I have shows the changeover to amber in all models was sometime in mid February.

I'm not sure on the telescoping antenna. I know both Project Blue Bird and my Sebring Plus both have the fixed ones, but both of them are early cars (August and September build dates). However, the 71 Coupe my parents bought new DID have it, and with it's mid 200,000 serial number, it would have been a later car. It very well may be like the turn signal lenses a mid year changeover. I don't have enough info to confirm that though.

I'll let this go one more day, then I'll add anything else I found that hasn't been mentioned. Don't forget to take a good read over the fender tag, and compare to what you see in the pictures. ;)
Dave

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Wed May 04, 2005 4:21 pm

Dave wrote: I'm not sure on the telescoping antenna. I know both Project Blue Bird and my Sebring Plus both have the fixed ones, but both of them are early cars (August and September build dates).

Telescoping antenna? I'll be sure and check mine and see what it has... oh, wait... :lol:

Oh, and on the radial tires, it has Polyglass GTs... the SPARE is the radial...
Bruce Anliker

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Wed May 04, 2005 10:46 pm

Well I'm late to party as usual, but here goes...

Wrong paint on the steering column/ interior- it is glossy and should be flattened 30 or 40%.

Um no rubber chunks on the lower quarters behind the tire, that was stock..right :D
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs