Restoration Mistakes

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

71rm23
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Restoration Mistakes

Post by 71rm23 » Thu May 05, 2005 1:46 am

I noticed one more item that appears to be incorrect--The door panels have wood grain on them, Road Runners didn't have the wood grain, I am pretty sure only available on the GTX and Satellite Sebring Plus.

RRUNR3

Post by RRUNR3 » Thu May 05, 2005 10:23 am

I believe another problem is that there is no tachometer in the Rallye cluster and that the chrome exhaust tips shouldn't be there.

I'm guessing that's so, since it's not on the fender tag. Of course not everything was listed on there.

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Post by Dave » Thu May 05, 2005 11:13 am

Yea! Somebody finally caught that little bit of woodgrain door panel in the one picture. ;) I'm sure had there been a better picture of them, just about everybody would have caught that mistake. The dash and column ARE too shiny, so good catch there.

The cluster is ok for this car. It wouldn't have the tach unless it carried an N85 code on the tag, but yes, the tips are wrong with the N97 noise reduction package - that would have required the turndowns.
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

russ71satellite

roadrunner restoration errors

Post by russ71satellite » Mon May 16, 2005 11:47 pm

A few things I may have found that haven't been mentioned...
The rear end...should it not be bare metal color? the black would indicate a replacement part.

hard to tell from photo, but the hood pad looks like a generic, non-molded one.

The base of the jack should be painted gray.

Fender tag: right screw should not be painted. My understanding is that the tags were screwed on with one screw, prior to painting, so paint could get underneath. They were then screwed down on the right side with an uppainted screw.

Hood spring should be painted body color.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Post by rr6pak » Tue May 24, 2005 8:41 pm

Dave:

Are you saying that the change to amber turn signals didn't happen til Febuary, 1971. I just wanted to clearify for myself..
Thanks

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

Post by Dave » Tue May 24, 2005 10:13 pm

Yes, somewhere around Feb 71 is where the changeover began. At least as far as I've been able to document original cars. I'm sure it varied from plant to plant too. Just remember, this only applies to Road Runners, GTX's and SSP's. The Sebrings and the Coupes always had the amber lenses.
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

72GY9Runner
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 72 Plymouth Road Runner GY9,Ember Gold interior, 400 Auto with AC, strobe stripe and canopy vinyl.

Restoration Mistakes

Post by 72GY9Runner » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:48 pm

Ok, I'll take a crack at this.

Incorrect striping in the hood callout area, R11 I believe is an AM radio but he lists it as an AM/FM. Also, not sure, but is it supposed to have the blackout treatment on the rear valence?

Not sure about the fender tag painted screw... Mine shows paint on both screws, and there is definitely no paint on the fender under the tag.

Dave