Ultimate Wiring Picture Guide 71 Plymouth / Dodge Bbody

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Re: Ultimate Wiring Picture Guide 71 Plymouth / Dodge Bbody

Post by rr6pak » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:50 am

Dagnia:

This is a helpful post. I'm doing the same to my harness as well. My old one is hacked on some. I did go through the manual and figured a lot of the wires, until I got a headache, lol. Anyway, I wold suggest numbering each picture. That would help out. Otherwise for me, I have to count down to the picture I might have an answer to, PITA :D

I'll help as much as I can

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:48 pm

I have metered where the go (the unanswered ones) and they don't make any sense. for instance the 2 light green wires to a black female bullet connector go to to the bulkhead and to the foot dimmer switch. The only thing I can find in my manual (although its a 72) it just says "battery" not sure what plugs into it. Part of my problem is that I didn't pullout the old harness (its missing) so I don't know what goes where as I bought the project as a rolling shell and everything else is just thrown into boxes.
The two wires may go to the emergency brake switch. The harness does connect to other parts of the car not just the dash. I understand that you don't have the old harness. What i am saying is to install it in the dash and look for what would go to what connector. For example the the instrument cluster, dash lights, cigarette lighter, radio, glove box switch/light. You should be able to get most of it hooked up because they are labeled. It's not sure if the harness is for all options so if that's the case you will have extra wires not used. Usually the single bullet style connectors are for lighting. I had a Charger that had a fire under the dash. It burnt everything and i had to replace it all, dash, dash wiring, dash pad, all the plastic parts etc... Back then no one was making harnesses and they where not available period. So i had to find a harness in the junk yard. Most of it was the same but it was from a different car and didn't have a few wires such as the tack wire so i had to add it. You need to get a good wiring diagram and go from that. Trace every wire coming in from the bulkhead connector and see where it is supposed to go to. The wiring diagrams on mymopar are a bit hard to read. I have seen better ones.
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1971/7 ... unnerA.JPG
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1971/7 ... unnerB.JPG

TX9GTXN96
GTX (RS)
My Cars: Present: '71 GTX 440+4bbl 4-spd 4.10 Dana GW3 GW3 J68 louver
Past: '71 GTX 440+4bbl 4spd 3.54 Dana TX9 TX9 N96 spoiler pkg
'71 RR 383 4bbl 4-spd 3.23 GY8 V1X

Post by TX9GTXN96 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:45 pm

The original tach harness is a separate unit from the main dash harness.
My Mopars:
Present: '71 GTX 440+4bbl 4-spd 4.10 Dana GW3 GW3 J68 louver
'70 Super Bee 440 6 pack 4-spd 4.10 Dana EB5 N96

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Post by dangina » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:17 am

TX9GTXN96 wrote:The original tach harness is a separate unit from the main dash harness.
one guy gave me a great idea on another forum in the pic 61, its not used on our cars but it is a wire we can use for a clean tach conversion!!! its the best idea I've seen yet
rr6pak wrote:Dagnia:

This is a helpful post. I'm doing the same to my harness as well. My old one is hacked on some. I did go through the manual and figured a lot of the wires, until I got a headache, lol. Anyway, I wold suggest numbering each picture. That would help out. Otherwise for me, I have to count down to the picture I might have an answer to, PITA :D

I'll help as much as I can
I got more help from other members today and updated it!
moparite wrote:
I have metered where the go (the unanswered ones) and they don't make any sense. for instance the 2 light green wires to a black female bullet connector go to to the bulkhead and to the foot dimmer switch. The only thing I can find in my manual (although its a 72) it just says "battery" not sure what plugs into it. Part of my problem is that I didn't pullout the old harness (its missing) so I don't know what goes where as I bought the project as a rolling shell and everything else is just thrown into boxes.
The two wires may go to the emergency brake switch. The harness does connect to other parts of the car not just the dash. I understand that you don't have the old harness. What i am saying is to install it in the dash and look for what would go to what connector. For example the the instrument cluster, dash lights, cigarette lighter, radio, glove box switch/light. You should be able to get most of it hooked up because they are labeled. It's not sure if the harness is for all options so if that's the case you will have extra wires not used. Usually the single bullet style connectors are for lighting. I had a Charger that had a fire under the dash. It burnt everything and i had to replace it all, dash, dash wiring, dash pad, all the plastic parts etc... Back then no one was making harnesses and they where not available period. So i had to find a harness in the junk yard. Most of it was the same but it was from a different car and didn't have a few wires such as the tack wire so i had to add it. You need to get a good wiring diagram and go from that. Trace every wire coming in from the bulkhead connector and see where it is supposed to go to. The wiring diagrams on mymopar are a bit hard to read. I have seen better ones.
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1971/7 ... unnerA.JPG
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1971/7 ... unnerB.JPG
thanks! these manual pages are what I have been looking for!
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

dangina
GTX (RS)

Post by dangina » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:38 am

also I remember reading somewhere that if your using the stock plug in connectors on the harness, one should use some sort of electrical paste to prevent the blades on the terminals from corroding, does anyone know what this stuff is called and where to get it?

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Dielectric grease. Any auto store should have it.

TX9GTXN96
GTX (RS)
My Cars: Present: '71 GTX 440+4bbl 4-spd 4.10 Dana GW3 GW3 J68 louver

Post by TX9GTXN96 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:49 pm

FYI- I was very unhappy with the M&H harness differences, compared to the original in my GTX. I called their tech line and the fellow instructed me to send both harnesses to them and they will make it the same as mine. The extra wiring is indeed for a '71 Dodge Chager with hideaway headlights. If you compare cavity #23 to your original, the wiring is very different there too. The original has a violet wire with white tracer, buddied up with the blue/white wire, that feeds to the ignition switch connector.
Last edited by TX9GTXN96 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Mopars:
Present: '71 GTX 440+4bbl 4-spd 4.10 Dana GW3 GW3 J68 louver
'70 Super Bee 440 6 pack 4-spd 4.10 Dana EB5 N96

71gtx4404
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by 71gtx4404 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:31 pm

CRC 2-26 spray I use it every time I disconnect/connect electrical connectors,a lot easer to use then dielectric grease,GOOGLE it & check it out.

dangina
GTX (RS)

Post by dangina » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:03 am

updated some of the posts, added new backup light harness, added maker of harness to titles, Wish I would have taken a pic of my steering column harness before I installed it, oh well...

dangina
GTX (RS)

Post by dangina » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:46 am

Final update ( I think) fixed a few things and added to the backup light harness

Curious, if one were to add power windows, where would the wires go? anyone have any pictues of this setup??!! "(I'd like to add them down the road)

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:02 pm

All wiring for power windows used separate harnesses, 5 in total. Power taken off the alternator side of the amp gauge, harness running to a circuit breaker and relay mounted externally to the fuse box. On to the driver side kick panel. Connecting to another harness running down the left side wire channel, crossing under the seats to the right side, then forward the passenger door jamb. Spilt offs for the rear window switches with a short harness in between. Last harness is in the driver’s door between the 4-way switch and the jamb harness.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

Post by rr6pak » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:26 am

Is there much of a difference between the engine harnesses WITH points vs. electronic? I want to convert mine to electronic ('71).

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:43 pm

Fairly easy conversion, done it many times, will need the conversion harness that comes with the kit, or can be purchased separately. Done correctly, can’t tell it wasn’t factory.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

Post by rr6pak » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:01 pm

72RoadRunnerGTX wrote:Fairly easy conversion, done it many times, will need the conversion harness that comes with the kit, or can be purchased separately. Done correctly, can’t tell it wasn’t factory.
Doesn't YO sell a harness with the electronic conversion? I think it is basically the same harness. When I have the time, guess I'll have to check with them.

quapman
GTX (RS)

Post by quapman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:13 am

Evans also sells engine harnesses with the electronic ignition plug ready to go. Nice stuff, but not always 100% factory correct.