Installing oil pan with windage tray with engine in car

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

patrick
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1973 Road Runner 440/4 speed

Installing oil pan with windage tray with engine in car

Post by patrick » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:23 am

Hey guys, been gone a while, but missed this place and I'm back...

I removed the stock oil pan to replace with an aftermarket Moroso (stock style) and an MP windage tray. After I dropped the draglink, the stock one came out easy enough. Now I'm having trouble installing he new oil pan because the windage tray won't allow it to clear with the engine in the car.

I think I just need to lift the engine a smudge so I can get the pan with tray in there. I have a cherry picker, but is it easier to just jack the engine up from the bottom, perhaps at the bellhousing (not the bell housing cover)?

I presume I need to loosen/remove, the spool-style motor mounts. Exhaust is already disconnected, as is the radiator. Anything else I need to loosen/disconnect so I don't break anything? I really only need a couple inches of lift for clearance, I'm guessing, and it should all go right in.

The car is a '73 Road Runner with a 440 and 4-speed, if it matters.
100% Death Proof

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Re: Installing oil pan with windage tray with engine in car

Post by moparite » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:49 am

Now I'm having trouble installing he new oil pan because the windage tray won't allow it to clear with the engine in the car.
If i remember correctly you need to mount or hold the windage tray up to the block then install the pan. What exactly is hitting? Can you install the stock one without issue?

patrick
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1973 Road Runner 440/4 speed

Post by patrick » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:08 am

It's hitting the windage tray. The stock oil pan without tray is "deeper" so it allows me to finagle it in and out without issue.

I installed the windage tray onto the pan already with High Tack on the gaskets (except for the very top). The plan was, at the last minute, to throw some High Tack on the top and then mate it to the block, and tighten up the bolts.

Maybe I'll try to separate the tray (I'm guessing I'll need new gaskets due to the High Tack residual), throw it up on the block, try to finagle the oil pan in there, then just not use any High Tack or any other sealer because there is absolutely no way I could get sealer on there with it mated up near the block. The K-frame gets in the way. I can barely get to the bolts!

I would prefer to lift the engine slightly, I think, because then I can get to the bolts around the K-frame better, it would clear the windage tray, etc.
100% Death Proof

moparite
GTX (RS)

Post by moparite » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:32 pm

When i installed mine it was on the stand and not in the car. If i recall you couldn't put the tray on with the pan because of the oil pick up was in the way. Had to maneuver the tray around the pick up then install the pan. In the car must be a real pita!

71Satellite98661
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 Satellite
70 Challenger
07 300C SRT8
13 Ram C/V (Caravan) work-issued

Post by 71Satellite98661 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:03 pm

Is it possible to turn the pickup out with the engine in place? First the tray then the pickup then the pan? I guess you'd have to hold the tray up with some high tack; maybe use the pan (dry) with a floorjack to let it set up first. I remember what a pain this was in a 76 class-C motorhome with a 440. I ended up pulling the 727 in that case.

71Satellite98661
GTX (RS)
70 Challenger
07 300C SRT8

Post by 71Satellite98661 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:08 pm

Side note...this windage tray from Jegs is better late than never. What a great alternative to double gaskets...

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+ ... fgodY4AArw
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (11.06 KiB) Viewed 9462 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (14.39 KiB) Viewed 9462 times

moparite
GTX (RS)

Post by moparite » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:05 pm

Well i would try to see if you can get the tray up on the motor with out removing the pick up. I'd put a thin film of sealant on all the mating surfaces. You can use some all thread and needle nose vice grips to hold up the tray. Cut two more pieces of all thread and install them in opposite sides to hold up the pan. Then remove the vice grips and mount them both up on the motor. Just a thought if you are willing to try it. I have an old original Mopar Performance tray still in the original packaging. I will have to take a look at it and see if the design changed at all. I like the double gaskets on the one you posted. Shame mp didn't do that.

Diriccatiticka
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner

Post by Diriccatiticka » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:10 pm

I know I have double gaskets on mine, that tray does look nice though. Mine was a little bit of a hassle, too. I couldn't put my windage tray on before the pan because I'd end up fighting the pan rails versus the pickup. Mine did go best as one clanking mess in one shot. Although I did use a Milodon pan. Good luck!
'72 Road Runner
Currently Engineering New Setup! 8)

71Satellite98661
GTX (RS)
70 Challenger
07 300C SRT8

Post by 71Satellite98661 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:45 pm

I can still hear that hollow clonking sound of oil pan and clanging tray to this day :rant:

Diriccatiticka
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner

Post by Diriccatiticka » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:13 am

I hear ya, fighting with a stack of four things, and only having two hands. I think my last try entailed me holding the whole assembly up with my face, holding alignment with one hand, and trying to reach for a couple bolts and attempt threading them in with the other hand. Will definitely be considering the Jeg's tray in the future.

Never a dull moment. :lol:
'72 Road Runner
Currently Engineering New Setup! 8)