Stereo system

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

Gotgrey
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 1972 roadrunner

Stereo system

Post by Gotgrey » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:00 pm

I'm looking for a stereo system for my 72 Roadrunner. I would like it to fit in the stock location but with a few modern up-grades like a C/D player. originally it came with a AM radio. Sure don't make it for me. I've seen AM/FM replacements on the market but for the money they want for them I can't see it. Any ideas or help would be great.
Thanks,
Paul
[URL=http://s817.photobucket.com/user/moparexpert1/media/IMG_0473_zps166765a4.jpg.html]Image

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Stereo system

Post by Eric » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:41 pm

AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

Gotgrey
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 1972 roadrunner

Post by Gotgrey » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:42 pm

Perfect! Thanks Eric
[URL=http://s817.photobucket.com/user/moparexpert1/media/IMG_0473_zps166765a4.jpg.html]Image

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Post by 71bird » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:10 pm

Here is my installed retro system. I actually put this same player in the car in 1977 when I got back from the Philippines where I bought it. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. I kept the original radio just because, and for AM radio.
Attachments
DSCN0886.JPG
DSCN0884.JPG
DSCN0888.JPG
71 Road Runner - J68

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:50 pm

Last edited by 72RoadRunnerGTX on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magnes
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus - Rallye Red
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring - Green - Parts Car
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring - Tan

Post by Magnes » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:23 am

That link leads to an awesome install for sure.

I didn't go that route though. I left my AM radio in tact and attached to the dash speaker so it still operates in it's original design (minus the AM powered rear speaker).

The real stereo is not a stereo at all. I have NO headunit installed and instead I use my Ipod or phone as the input source. This allows me to not only have access to modern music storage but also, navigation, hands free phone use, and what I really like to do on long trips is to listen to movies (Netflix) through the speakers as I drive which the passenger can view on the phone screen itself.

I bought a Pioneer 760watt 4 channel amp, 2 Kicker 6x9's, and 2 Kicker 5.25" speakers, amp install kit and an adapter that takes the signal from a headphone jack and turns it into an RCA level input for the amp. All in with speakers, amp, and all the appropriate install components, it ran me about $250. Most headunits alone cost that much.

I installed the amp upside down under the package tray area in the trunk which keeps it completely out of sight and allows it plenty of airspace to keep cool. Then by using 1" spacers made from the Kicker speaker grill covers for the 6x9"s, I mounted the 6x9"s in the stock rear locations mounted from the trunk side. Then I mounted the 5.25"s up front in some extra kick panel covers I had laying around.

Then I ran the wiring for the amp, the speakers, and for the IPod input. It was pretty easy, with a bit of planning, to keep the wiring separate and organized.

My Ipod connection comes out right beside the console on the driver's side. I actually keep it connected to the "female" seat belt connection which allows me to easily access it. Volume is controlled by the Ipod or phone which, when connected, stays put right on the console.

I will post a pic to show you what it all looks like in but basically there is nothing to see. The whole set-up is hidden other than the 5.25"s mounted in the front kick panels. The radio is the stock AM.

There's nothing on the FM radio that I want to listen to and I don't want a bunch of CD's cluttering up my ride so this was a great option for me. This system sounds awesome, is cheap, easily hidden, and the ways it can be used are diverse. So that's another option for you.

SureGrip
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 SSP....lots of parts

Post by SureGrip » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:53 pm

Magnes wrote:That link leads to an awesome install for sure.

I didn't go that route though. I left my AM radio in tact and attached to the dash speaker so it still operates in it's original design (minus the AM powered rear speaker).

The real stereo is not a stereo at all. I have NO headunit installed and instead I use my Ipod or phone as the input source. This allows me to not only have access to modern music storage but also, navigation, hands free phone use, and what I really like to do on long trips is to listen to movies (Netflix) through the speakers as I drive which the passenger can view on the phone screen itself.

I bought a Pioneer 760watt 4 channel amp, 2 Kicker 6x9's, and 2 Kicker 5.25" speakers, amp install kit and an adapter that takes the signal from a headphone jack and turns it into an RCA level input for the amp. All in with speakers, amp, and all the appropriate install components, it ran me about $250. Most headunits alone cost that much.

I installed the amp upside down under the package tray area in the trunk which keeps it completely out of sight and allows it plenty of airspace to keep cool. Then by using 1" spacers made from the Kicker speaker grill covers for the 6x9"s, I mounted the 6x9"s in the stock rear locations mounted from the trunk side. Then I mounted the 5.25"s up front in some extra kick panel covers I had laying around.

Then I ran the wiring for the amp, the speakers, and for the IPod input. It was pretty easy, with a bit of planning, to keep the wiring separate and organized.

My Ipod connection comes out right beside the console on the driver's side. I actually keep it connected to the "female" seat belt connection which allows me to easily access it. Volume is controlled by the Ipod or phone which, when connected, stays put right on the console.

I will post a pic to show you what it all looks like in but basically there is nothing to see. The whole set-up is hidden other than the 5.25"s mounted in the front kick panels. The radio is the stock AM.

There's nothing on the FM radio that I want to listen to and I don't want a bunch of CD's cluttering up my ride so this was a great option for me. This system sounds awesome, is cheap, easily hidden, and the ways it can be used are diverse. So that's another option for you.
Very nice!

Can you give some details, or a link to some instructions, on how you put the iPod interface into the stock stereo?
One day - 1971 Road Runner clone

Magnes
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus - Rallye Red
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring - Green - Parts Car
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring - Tan

Post by Magnes » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:43 am

It was easier to draw it out than it was to explain.

There is no interface between the stock stereo and the Ipod (or cellphone) system. They are completely separate. I tried to illustrate this in the diagram.

If you've ever installed an amplified stereo in a car before, seeing the diagram will really do more to explain the setup than I could explain with words.

I had to reduce the size to be able to upload it here. If you have any questions what so ever, let me know. I can get you all the information (part numbers and supplier) for every part of the system. I would be more than happy to help in any way.

The install sounds WAY more complicated than it really is. It is extremely easy to set up and do, plus it gives you a TON of uses and is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.
Attachments
stereo diagram2.jpg

SureGrip
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 SSP....lots of parts

Post by SureGrip » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Ah, I see now, the iPod input goes into an amp...I thought you wired it into the AM radio, that was what I was interested in.

Much simpler the way you did it. :D
One day - 1971 Road Runner clone