Hood callouts & Park lamps

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

gary
GTX (RS)
My Cars: '71 GTX Gold Leaf Met.440 A/T

Hood callouts & Park lamps

Post by gary » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:48 am

On a '71 GTX ,The park lamp lenses: Clear or Amber? U.S. car not Export
Also were the hood callout engine size numbers ever body color?
:beer:

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Re: Hood callouts & Park lamps

Post by 71bird » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:00 am

The park light, is according to the build date. I'm not sure, but I think they changed in Dec of 70 from clear to amber.
71 Road Runner - J68

sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Post by sdweatherman » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:27 am

Hey Gary,
Here is the skinny on the park lamps.
Scott.

http://www.roadrunnernest.com/forum/vie ... ark+lights
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:10 pm

Engine callouts on the hood were never body color. 71 cars were all reflective white callouts with a black background. Why you occasionally see an unrestored car with body colored callouts has I believe do to with the way the decals were made. From what I've found looking at original decals, they started with a reflective white vinyl and printed the back background on top of it. Reflective decals seem to deteriorate in UV light and the elements faster than normal vinyl. I believe the black printing preserved the "background" area of the decal longer than the exposed white reflective vinyl.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Post by rr6pak » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:34 pm

Eric wrote:Engine callouts on the hood were never body color. 71 cars were all reflective white callouts with a black background. Why you occasionally see an unrestored car with body colored callouts has I believe do to with the way the decals were made. From what I've found looking at original decals, they started with a reflective white vinyl and printed the back background on top of it. Reflective decals seem to deteriorate in UV light and the elements faster than normal vinyl. I believe the black printing preserved the "background" area of the decal longer than the exposed white reflective vinyl.
Are you sure about the callouts, Eric? I'm not doubting you by all means. My car had body color call outs with vynil "pinsripping" around the edge of the call out, stipes inside, the engine displacement in black. My car is Tor-Red. I just had the dang thing painted. I had the callouts painted body color. Whether or not correct, its staying, I think its hot.

Again, not to argue or doubt. I'm going to post a page about my car and build. Soon

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:42 pm

I never say I'm sure about anything when it comes to mopars, but I can say that every original car I've looked at was this way and the parts books only show one part number for each hood indent engine callout size.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

moparmarks
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)

Post by moparmarks » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:33 am

I've never seen body color callouts. 71 was white letters on black and 72 was black letters on white.
Southwestern Sheet Metal
71-4 B-body

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

Post by rr6pak » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:20 pm

I think it was a misunderstanding on my part and what I wrote. I was under the assumption that Eric was saying the color of the call out was different than body color. Moparmark made the light bulb go off in my head. If my interpretation is correct, the call out was body color but the lettering (engine size) is different, correct?

Also, looking at your avatar Eric, made sense to me. That is what I was trying to convey about the callout.

Hope this makes sense and I'm clear. Not bashing anyone here or doubting.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:41 pm

Now I'm confused (by the question) :lol:

This is my original paint hood callout and is the correct color for any 71 hood regardless of body color. The white spots in the black background are where the printing has worn away. Ignore the white pinstripe, that was a day 2 add on.
Attachments
IMG_0230.jpg

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

Post by rr6pak » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:21 pm

Eric wrote:Now I'm confused (by the question) :lol:

This is my original paint hood callout and is the correct color for any 71 hood regardless of body color. The white spots in the black background are where the printing has worn away. Ignore the white pinstripe, that was a day 2 add on.
Nah, it was me, Eric. When I first read this, I thought you was saying the call out wasn't body color along with the lettering. Thats what got me. Went back and re read the post to get it straight in my head that its the lettering inside the call out that's different. Again, my bad

streetwedg
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 71 gtx 440 auto with a/c
gold leaf poly,gold full vinal top,gold int, gold stripes.

Post by streetwedg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:53 am

My gtx was built on 8/27 and it has body colored callouts! When I reprinted it I put new bezels on and kept the original. The decals are black with numbers cut out. Body color shows through. There is no signs of any white ever and nobody cut them out. It is an early build car with a 70 style console, steering wheel is smooth with no grain. End engine callouts are body color. Looking at these pieces there is no way you can convince me they didn't come this way. I have owned this car since 1987