Correct side marker lenses for RR -72

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

m72
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Correct side marker lenses for RR -72

Post by m72 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:40 am

Hi! Had an little accident yesterday in the garage and the left sidemarker lens broke. When I was looking for a new one I found that there are two versions of lenses, one with metal frame (metal paint?) and one w/o frame. Which one is correct? My RR has the ones w/o frame and I think they are Chrysler original.
/Martin
Attachments
side marker.jpg
side marker 2.png
side marker 2.png (29.88 KiB) Viewed 6553 times

ILUV72RRs
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 340 Road Runner, 1972 400 Road Runner

Re: Correct side marker lenses for RR -72

Post by ILUV72RRs » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:23 am

To the best of my knowledge all of yours should have the silver/chrome metal paint. Age, car washings, rubbing etc. wears the silver/chrome off, and they look normal to you because you forget they came with them or you're a young pup who never saw them brand new. I'm not sure if Chrysler later on in years eliminated the silver/paint so that any newer ones in a box might not have the paint on them.

SureGrip
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 SSP....lots of parts

Post by SureGrip » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:10 pm

ILUV72RRs wrote:To the best of my knowledge all of yours should have the silver/chrome metal paint. Age, car washings, rubbing etc. wears the silver/chrome off, and they look normal to you because you forget they came with them or you're a young pup who never saw them brand new. I'm not sure if Chrysler later on in years eliminated the silver/paint so that any newer ones in a box might not have the paint on them.
You can buy them from Chrysler...I don't think they have been pulled from regular inventory or not, but you used to be able to buy them for $7.00 ea. As you said, they didn't come with the silver paint, so a Testors silver paint pen will do the job quickly and cleanly.
One day - 1971 Road Runner clone

moparmarks
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)

Post by moparmarks » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:52 am

The front amber lenses were used on trucks thought 93. My 92 has them so the dealers may still have them.
Your 72 should have the silver edging.
Southwestern Sheet Metal
71-4 B-body