Grille hardware question for 71-72 roadrunner/satellite

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Re: Grille hardware question for 71-72 roadrunner/satellite

Post by dangina » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:50 pm

Ok so I just installed this and came to some conclusions:

The kit has only 4 plasic pieces for the screws to go into even though you need 6. (Found some at local auto value store)

The chome (or it stainless?) Long screws are too short to screw the grill and bezels on (managed to find the original screws, and again you need 6 not 4)

The kit comes with 4 black screws that are one size too big, (managed to use black screws I saved when I put in my stereo system)

The kit does not come with the 12 screws one needs to bolt the damn brackets onto the bumper. (Still dont know what these were suppose to be, ended up buying a pack if 12 #8 black screws)

All in all I spent $30usd for 3 big push on pieces, 6 big black plastic pieces to bolt the middle grill on and 3 bolts for the bottom of the middle grill and 4 plastic pieces you screw into (the last two I could have gotten here in town at auto value)
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:21 pm

dangina wrote:Ok so I just installed this and came to some conclusions:

The kit does not come with the 12 screws one needs to bolt the damn brackets onto the bumper. (Still dont know what these were suppose to be, ended up buying a pack if 12 #8 black screws)
They are just a common screw with a 3/8 inch head. They are the ones that go through the "buttons". They are a bitch to put in and the only tool I found that does the job easily is a 3/8 inch gear wrench with a flex head. It's flat enough to get on the bolt heads, and will tighten them without having to take it off after 1/2 a turn.

Here's a pix of the wrench and a "special tool" to align things before you put the bolts in.

And a pix of it being used. There is not enough room to use a nut driver.

Here's a pix of one of the "C" brackets that are bolted between the top and bottom of the bumper. They screws & "buttons" are used and there are tabs on the bumper that align the "C" brackets. Here's a pix that shows the screw head and the tab. (This is the center "C" bracket)

These brackets are fastened to the bumper FIRST (all three). Then you fasten the four brackets (two top, two bottom) to the bumper than hold the "bezels" (end pieces of the grille that go around the lights) Here's a pix of a top one of the pair.

Here's the bottom one.

Don't forget you have to put the headlight assemblies in FIRST since they fasten to the fenders NOT the bumper!

Hope this helps....

Righteous One Owner '72 Roadrunner

Dibbons
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus

Post by Dibbons » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:29 pm

plastic grlle bottom 2.jpg
I am restoring a 1972 Road Runner Grille. The center plastic grille section had four small pins on the front as seen from underneath that are not visible when the grille is on the car. These four small plastic pins are spaced out evenly on the bottom of the grill but have all snapped off. I was told that originally from the factory that some small tabs were attached to these pins, and the tabs were used to connect the bottom of the center plastic grille section to the lower chrome bumper, but that they all break off eventually. I have never seen the tabs, but I have found a picture of the bottom of a NOS grille for sale showing the plastic pins in pristine condition. Is anyone have any idea what these tabs looked like, or has anyone engineered another way to attach the bottom of the center grille to the chrome bumper? Thank you.
Attachments
grille pegs.jpg

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:30 am

Here is an old thread That talks about those studs and some repair suggestions

Dibbons
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus

Post by Dibbons » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:52 pm

Thanks for the previous answer last month regarding this 72 Road Runner grille. I have everything needed except for the spacers, buttons, or those plastic washers that snap together (whatever you want to call them) that go on the bottom of the brackets of the 1972 Road Runner Grille. I wonder if they are the same design I see advertised for sale on Ebay as grille spacers for the 1968 GTX/Satellite. I can't tell by the photos if they are the same. Anyone know where the correct ones can be purchased? Part number? Do I really need them? The ones that came on the original grille disintegrated as soon as I touched them. Thank you.

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:23 am

Yes, that two piece grille grommet/retainers were used on various other models. Have seen them from places like R/T Specialties sold individually in the past. This may be the one, may want to call to verify it is the two piece version. Looks like the ’68 GTX, ’68-69 Charger grille kits contains them too.
Are they needed? They wouldn’t be there in the first place if it didn’t serve a purpose.