Help with value of a 71 340 car

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

gipper51
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1971 Roadrunner

Help with value of a 71 340 car

Post by gipper51 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi All,

Brand new member here, would greatly appreciate some help. I have a 71 340 RR that I am planning to sell later this summer. I've owned it about 14 years, but have done nothing with it for quite some time so it needs to move on to a better home. It's been sitting for a year and needs some mechanical fixes before I put it on the market. I don't plan to get it perfect, just a decently sound driver car.

I could use some help on what I can expect to fetch for this car. Web info on 71 340 models in this condition is hard to come by. I can find values for parts cars and perfect restos, but not much in between. I'm at work and these are the only pictures I have at the moment, I can post some more in the next few day to help. Again, just trying to get an idea of market value. I'll probably sell through Craigslist ads.

Here's what I can tell you:

The car has mostly been sitting for the past 10 years, occasionally started up and driven around the block.
Was previously restored around early 90's.
It's numbers matching
Around 90K on odometer, never rolled over.
3 speed 727 which was rebuilt about 5000 miles ago.
Has A/C but the compressor is not currently installed. I have the compressor
Motor is stock except for a different carb, not sure if it's ever been rebuilt.
Still have the original carb.

As far as things wrong, there are numerous little things that won't be fixed. Various electrical issues - Horn works but is not connected to steering wheel, turn signals need to be manually "blinked".

The car will start and drive OK when I'm done, I plan to fix some mechanical issues. I know it needs front end work, I believe an axle is bent (constant thump from rear end and a seal leaks). Probably needs brake work. This I will plan on doing prior to selling.

Interior is pretty clean. a few cracks in the dash, drivers seat is starting to crack at the seams. Carpet and door panels are pretty good. All instruments work.

Engine bay is clean and motor looks good. Sorry I don't have pics

Body has some rust in the rear quarters. It had been bondo'd years ago but it's poking through again.

I know you need a book of info for what it's worth, but if this info and attached pics could get me a ballpark it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron
Attachments
_DSC2006.JPG
_DSC2007.JPG
_DSC2010.JPG
_DSC2012.JPG
_DSC2013.JPG

72bluNblu
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 1971 383 SSP

Re: Help with value of a 71 340 car

Post by 72bluNblu » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:33 pm

That's a nice looking Road Runner! Love the butterscotch paint. :D

As far as price, it seems like the market is a bit soft on these cars right now. I would say around $10-12k for a ballpark, just because it looks so good. The mechanical problems could definitely lower that though.

Here's a completed eBay listing for a 383 roadrunner that seemed in similar shape, running driving car that needs some work. The bodywork on your car is definitely nicer. This one went for $7,500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Plymouth-R ... true&rt=nc

Here's a current auction for a '71 with a non-matching 400. Has had some resto work done to it, but "not a show car". Says his reserve is $16k, but I've seen this one listed more than once.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Road-R ... ars_Trucks
'71 SSP GA4
'71 DartGT EL5 (#65 in the GT registry)
'71 DartGT GK6 ( #69 in the GT registry)
'74 Duster/71 demon tribute- primary driver
'72 Challenger-secondary driver

sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Post by sdweatherman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:40 pm

Hey Aaron,
Nice looking RR there. Is it a real EL5 butterscotch car, or was it born a different color? Might help to list some of the more significant options off the option tag. There is a website that lists all collector cars that sold on eBay over the past several years. You can sort out 71 Runners, but you would have to look at each one of them to find the ones that are closest to yours in condition. Just Google "collector car price tracker" Good luck with the sale! Scott.
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof

gipper51
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by gipper51 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:59 pm

72bluNblu wrote:That's a nice looking Road Runner! Love the butterscotch paint. :D

As far as price, it seems like the market is a bit soft on these cars right now. I would say around $10-12k for a ballpark, just because it looks so good. The mechanical problems could definitely lower that though.

Here's a completed eBay listing for a 383 roadrunner that seemed in similar shape, running driving car that needs some work. The bodywork on your car is definitely nicer. This one went for $7,500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Plymouth-R ... true&rt=nc

Here's a current auction for a '71 with a non-matching 400. Has had some resto work done to it, but "not a show car". Says his reserve is $16k, but I've seen this one listed more than once.

Thanks for the links and the info. That is encouraging to hear. I've found lots of results for 383 cars but had no idea if 340s command more because they are so rare, even though everyone wants the big block cars.

Yes, I love the butterscotch color too!

gipper51
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by gipper51 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:05 pm

sdweatherman wrote:Hey Aaron,
Nice looking RR there. Is it a real EL5 butterscotch car, or was it born a different color? Might help to list some of the more significant options off the option tag. There is a website that lists all collector cars that sold on eBay over the past several years. You can sort out 71 Runners, but you would have to look at each one of them to find the ones that are closest to yours in condition. Just Google "collector car price tracker" Good luck with the sale! Scott.
Yep, she is an original butterscotch. I'll check the tag. I decoded it years ago but didn't keep the info and forgot most of it. I do remember the AC was factory as was the color.

I think I've seen the link you may be referring to. Found a ton of 383 cars and some 440 / Hemi versions. 340s were harder to get a read on. The few they had seemed to be pristine originals or fresh restorations...or rust bucket parts cars. Seems the car is in the neighborhood of $25K fully restored, but I'm not taking it near that far.

mopar71
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 roadrunner

Post by mopar71 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:07 pm

My favorite color! :beer:
MOPAR (Move Over Plymouth Approching Rapidly)

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm

One of my favorite colors too (since I own one). Given your description I'd have to guess it's in the $15-18K range. Unfortunately, prices on these cars have suffered over the last few years.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

gipper51
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by gipper51 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:37 pm

Eric wrote:One of my favorite colors too (since I own one). Given your description I'd have to guess it's in the $15-18K range. Unfortunately, prices on these cars have suffered over the last few years.
Wow, you think it could be that high? I'm thinking the pictures are making it look nicer than it actually is :) Shame this body style has never been coveted as much as the previous one...I think it's a nicer looking car. Pre-71 roadrunners don't do much for me, but they are the ones people want.

gipper51
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Found a close condition

Post by gipper51 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:23 pm

The collector car auction list has this one that sold last April. This car is very close to the condition mine is in, maybe slightly better on the body. Mine has more rust starting in the rear quarters. But this one is not numbers matching and no factory spoiler.

http://media.collectorcarpricetracker.c ... 831663.pdf

This one gives me some hope mine may be in the $13-14K range.

sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Post by sdweatherman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:09 pm

72bluNblu wrote:That's a nice looking Road Runner! Love the butterscotch paint. :D

Hey that one is from my neck of the woods. He had that car at our indoor winter show a few years back. He put a decent paint job on it, but then just threw all the unrestored parts back on it. Didn't even bother painting the engine up either. Non stock interior. Wiring wasn't routed very neatly. He took on a project without much knowledge, and now he is trying to recoup his investment. Kinda felt bad for him when he asked me what market value was approximately - he responded with a sad "oh".
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof

Handygun
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1971 RR 340/727
1928 Plymouth Mdl Q
1958 Plymouth 2dr wgn 392H/518
1965 Coronet 540H/18 spl.
1965 D-100 360/745

Post by Handygun » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:15 pm

I was on this site looking to see about removing the grille on my newly acquired 71 RR (Installing new headlights) and ran across this post. I bought this car last month, the one the OP asked about. Small world but there aren't a lot of these. So I joined, Signed up. Good to be here, I'll be asking questions. Steve.

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Post by 71bird » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:57 am

Welcome aboard. Save the old headlight, cause they are date coded.
71 Road Runner - J68