Rocker question...

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

ccb_v2
Road Runner (RM)

Rocker question...

Post by ccb_v2 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:21 pm

Ok, so I get the carb tuned in better on the '72 318 and try it out on a beautiful day... runs well, no problems (was backfiring because it was too rich). Well I take it out a few days ago on another great day and there's a tap-tap-tap from the engine.... pop the hood and it sounds like its a rockewr hitting the valve cover... like you take two wrenches and tap them together... So I pull the cover but cannot see any way to adjust the rockers from the top. Anyone have any advice?

71383bee

Post by 71383bee » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:11 am

Assuming that you have a stock 318, there is no way you can really adjust those shaft rockers. If a rocker is tapping the valve cover then it is just plain broke.

Did you see any damage while the cover was off? Metal shavings, etc? A broken pushrod is more likely the culprit and those are typically caused from a stuck/bent valve or wiped cam lobe. Turn the mortor over slowly by hand or bump the started and make sure all of your valves are opening.

Have you done a compression test on the motor at all recently?

ccb_v2
Road Runner (RM)

Post by ccb_v2 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:04 am

No damage or any other abnormal signs when I pulled the valve cover off. Engine has about 44000 miles on her. From what I can recall my 305 in my 88 camaro had adjustable rockers, and I was suprised when I saw that these were not adjustable (granted this is a '72 and the 305 is an '88). Comression test is next in line actually. Thanks for the info, I appriciate it!
:)