rear tire spacing

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

rear tire spacing

Post by dangina » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:09 pm

I'm curious, I noticed that on my car the rear wheel does not sit in the center of the wheel well, It sits about a 1 1/2" towards the rear of the car from center hub to the edge of the wheel well. I thought I was seeing things so I went to the old mans house who has 3 of them sitting there. The 4 speed car like mine was about the same distance back towards the car just like mine, whereas the 2 auto cars were perfectly center. Is thier a reason for this? just curious if any of you noticed the same thing...
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

SureGrip
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 SSP....lots of parts

Re: rear tire spacing

Post by SureGrip » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Probably different rears/springs.

Dana 60 vs. 8-3/4?
One day - 1971 Road Runner clone

gcoupe72
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner originally equipped as lemon twist,400,4spd,air grabber,performance axle pkg.,bk. interior.

Post by gcoupe72 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:41 am

I don't think this is all that uncommon.
Measure both sides of the car, say from the torsion bar crossmember to the front spring hangar.
You may get different numbers! If so, this is your difference.
You can equalize this, or at least get it closer, by placing shims between the spring hangar and its mount.
Does this mean your car was built on a Monday, or Friday? :lol:
Let us know.

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Post by dangina » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:06 pm

Part of this may be the fact I'm running aftermarket springs with the 2" front hangers (as our cars have a 22" front segment not the 20") I can tell that the spring and the thickness of the bracket probably make up about 3/4" but the rest I'm unsure of. I'll measure the torsion bars to the rear bracket to see if the numbers are different, i should mention that all the rear diffs were the 8 3/4". will this extra length effect my driveshaft?(ie will I have to lengthen it to make up the difference?)
the last owner lost the fender tag so I have no idea if its a monday or friday car lol
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus