Finally scored a real RM23

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

ewolfe
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 71 Satellite Sebring Plus (RR clone) 340 six pack 4 speed

71 Roadrunner 383 4 speed Sassy Grass

Re: Finally scored a real RM23

Post by ewolfe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:36 pm

My car is an H2X9 with the A87 group and air foam bench seat.

I thank you guys for the help now I know mine will have the gray inserts and I think I know which seat cover to order as well. I still don't now how to tell if the mirror was painted or not and if the grill should be two toned. I have a box of grill pieces and it's a mixed bag. I have two outers (headlights) that are the black centers and gray outer parts, but all my center pieces are either all silver or been painted black...

I didn't see anything on the sheet that mentions the grill coloring.

Thank you guys for all the info so far; its been a great help already.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:38 pm

ewolfe wrote:build sheet
Nicely optioned car! The black strobe stripe, rear bumper/valance stripes, and brite exhaust tips will really look good with the FJ6 paint! I can't find a good photo of the H2X9 interior, but here's the same interior in green. Your seat covers would be all black with the same chrome decoration and stiching pattern. Door panels would be black with gray inserts.
Attachments
8.jpg
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:41 pm

ewolfe wrote:My car is an H2X9 with the A87 group and air foam bench seat.

I thank you guys for the help now I know mine will have the gray inserts and I think I know which seat cover to order as well. I still don't now how to tell if the mirror was painted or not and if the grill should be two toned. I have a box of grill pieces and it's a mixed bag. I have two outers (headlights) that are the black centers and gray outer parts, but all my center pieces are either all silver or been painted black...

I didn't see anything on the sheet that mentions the grill coloring.

Thank you guys for all the info so far; its been a great help already.
If you re-read my first post, your mirror should be the chrome racing version (not painted). All road runner grills (for 71) where black and silver. All black is not correct for anything, and all silver is Satellite.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:46 pm

Best photo I have of an H2X9 seat pattern
Attachments
H2X9_front_seat_A87.jpg

ewolfe
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by ewolfe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:53 pm

Eric,

Thank you very, very much for your time and info. I really appreciate it.

I can't wait to get this back from paint...my wife, she's not really looking forward to that time :)

471Magnum
GTX (RS)

Post by 471Magnum » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:50 am

Not arguing the existance of the combination. Just sharing the documentation that would seem to indicate deluxe seats required A87.
-Jim
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ULTIMATE set of tools... I can fix it."

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:46 am

ewolfe, After studying your build sheet i noticed that we have very similar cars. Line 2 is identical except mine has duel painted racing mirrors. Just wondering if you are going to keep the manual brakes and steering? Manual brakes and steering are no fun with a 4 speed. Or automatic for that matter. I posted a question some time ago about a paint code i found behind the rear seat.(see link) Just was curious if yours had any such codes anywhere?

http://www.roadrunnernest.com/forum/vie ... f=1&t=4706

ewolfe
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by ewolfe » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Moparite,

I could not agree more about the lack of power steering mixed with a big block and a 4 speed being less than desirable. I plan to deviate from the broadcast sheet in a few ways for drivability and safety's sake. I will be adding power steering and disk brakes to the car as I drive my family around in my cars as much as possible. I'm not a fan of drum brakes as I remember quite a few "pucker" moments when they were on my daily driver.

As far as the markings, my car had already been disassembled, acid dipped and phosphate coated prior to my buying the car so there were absolutely no markings to be had.