Finally scored a real RM23

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

ewolfe
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 71 Satellite Sebring Plus (RR clone) 340 six pack 4 speed

71 Roadrunner 383 4 speed Sassy Grass

Finally scored a real RM23

Post by ewolfe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:50 am

Hi everyone,

After having several 71 Satellites, I've finally scored a great RM23 that I'm restoring back to factory specs, per the build sheet.

In the past I've built the cars as I like them and not a proper restore as I didn't have build sheets and honestly, they were just decent drivers. This car I plan to do as a restoration.

Its a 71 FJ6 383 4 speed car with the numbers matching motor, but sadly did not have the trans with the car when I bought and I'm unsure of how that came to be. I'll post some wanted adds later, but for now I have a bunch of "what is correct" style of questions.

The car was built May 28th, so pretty late in the run...what is the correct color park lamps in the front valance as I have a box of them, some clear, come yellow.

It has the A87 interior code, but did not come with seats or upper door panels. I've seen pics of what I think are the correct uppers, but I usually see them with gunmetal inserts...I'm mot sure how to tell if mine should have a different color insert.

The bench seat has the C65 Air foam bench seat cushion...what is that? I currently have bucket seats, but want to put in a bench like it came with. I recently scored a 72 bench seat, but is in pretty terrible shape. I have no idea what the C65 option is or even if it's relevant. Can you offer some input on that one?

It also has the G33 outside mirror, but I don't know how to tell if it should be painted body color or chrome.

I have the build sheet copied on pdf if you think that would help...lol.

Sorry for the TON of questions, but I want to get this one right since I have the build sheet and the original motor...I'm STOKED about this car as my very first car ever was a 71 Satellite and they've been my favorite every since...I've just not had the opportunity to score a good Roadrunner until recently.

Thank you for all your help as it is GREATLY appreciated.

ajcpaperboy
GTX (RS)
My Cars: '71 Road Runner

Re: Finally scored a real RM23

Post by ajcpaperboy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:46 pm

First, Congratulations on your score. :beer:

In the archives section you will find the answers to several of your questions.
On the board index, archives is the 4th box down and production figures is the 2nd topic.

I can't answer your interior question with any authority except to say it is the Road Runner decore group
I believe G33 is a remote left hand mirror. Not a racing style.

If you post your build sheet I am sure several guys will chime in with more information as you will
not find a better or more helpful group.

Good Luck
I said "Don't look Ethel,but it was to late."

471Magnum
GTX (RS)

Post by 471Magnum » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Amber on the lamps.
-Jim
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ULTIMATE set of tools... I can fix it."

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Congrats on the(real) 71 RM23! See so many making clones it makes me sick. But that's another story. Check out the link below it should let you know what all the codes are. Let's see some pics! :D

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=17

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Welcome to the Nest and congratulations!
A87:
- it's not possible to tell you what seat covers you should have from just the A87 code. The seat covers were completely dependent on the 4 digit interior code. You say it originally came with bench seat? Was it coded H2-- or M2--?
- if your car was built with a black interior, you would have black door panels with the gray inserts. Other colors would be different
- other options that came as part of the A87 package: wheel opening moldings, delux steering wheel (3 spoke) unless otherwise optioned up to the tuff wheel or rimblow, hood indent black pinstripes (on a non-air grabber car), rear bumper and valance blackout stripes, and I believe chrome door lock pulls (interior).
C65 air foam: I believe was standard
G33: designates a drivers side chrome remote racing mirror

Now let's see some photos!
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

ewolfe
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by ewolfe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:57 pm

The day I brought her home back earlier this summer
1st day.png.png
The day I brought her home back in the summer

471Magnum
GTX (RS)

Post by 471Magnum » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:00 pm

Use this page to help you figure out the interior trim:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dea ... h-04.shtml
-Jim
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ULTIMATE set of tools... I can fix it."

ewolfe
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by ewolfe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:00 pm

Ready for blocking.png
At the body body guy's house for prime and blocking

ewolfe
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by ewolfe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Let the fun begin.png
Let the fun begin

ewolfe
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by ewolfe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:14 pm

build sheet.png
Here's the money shot

ewolfe
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by ewolfe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:22 pm

The rest of it.png
Here's the rest of the car...lol

I had to take other stuff that didn't belong to the car as the guy was moving so like any good Mopar fanatic...I took all my two trucks and trailers could carry :)

471Magnum
GTX (RS)

Post by 471Magnum » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Eric wrote:Welcome to the Nest and congratulations!
A87:
- it's not possible to tell you what seat covers you should have from just the A87 code. The seat covers were completely dependent on the 4 digit interior code.
No. A87 Decor Group did get you the deluxe H2## seats and associated door panels.

(edit) H2 (and M5) reuired Decor group (A87), but you may have been able to order A87 with M2 (base) seats (although I've never seen one).

M2## came on RR without Decor Group.

I believe A87 was mandatory with M5## buckets.
-Jim

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:08 pm

471Magnum wrote:
Eric wrote:Welcome to the Nest and congratulations!
A87:
- it's not possible to tell you what seat covers you should have from just the A87 code. The seat covers were completely dependent on the 4 digit interior code.
No. A87 Decor Group did get you the deluxe H2## seats and associated door panels.

(edit) H2 (and M5) reuired Decor group (A87), but you may have been able to order A87 with M2 (base) seats (although I've never seen one).

I believe A87 was mandatory with M5## buckets.
Nope, while the H2 interior did get the upgraded door panels, it did not mandate the A87 package. I have a handful of cars in the database that are H2 and not A87. You could get A87 with M2 interiors, again I have a bunch of M2 cars with A87 in the database including my own bahama yellow car.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

471Magnum
GTX (RS)

Post by 471Magnum » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:20 pm

-Jim

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:29 pm

471Magnum wrote:exhibit "b"
I'm fully aware of what the trim book says, but nothing on the order form kept you from these combinations and clearly there were cars built this way. I also have at least one M5-- interior car without A87 (and yes I'm aware of which build plants did and did not code A87 on the tag).