1972 RR color code question

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

72 RR fan
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner 440 auto
1971 Road Runner 383 4spd

Re: 1972 RR color code question

Post by 72 RR fan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:36 pm

The B1 car I chased down years ago had a white strobe stripe. I really beleive it had a white interior too. I like that combo. Sure wish that car would surface again around here. Used to see it all the time in the 90s. Only got close to it once. I chased the gal down into a funeral home parking lot to try to buy it. Recon there was a memorial service she was attending. I felt kinda bad about asking her to sell, but eh, I really needed her car more than she did, lol.

btw...I have a pic of the data plate from that car inTN. I tried to post a pic the other night, but either it got harder to do, or I got dumber. Prob yall don't have this one. This car looks like it's been off the radar for a while. Gonna go give a look tomorrow.
"Did I just buy another car?!?"

ILUV72RRs
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 340 Road Runner, 1972 400 Road Runner

Post by ILUV72RRs » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Eric, I have so far 339 VINs for 1972 Road Runners, of which 69 are Road Runner/GTXs. I'm a dinosaur in that I have them written down on 3x5 file cards! I started out years ago recording the VIN data for the 1969 Charger 500s, Daytonas & Superbirds for the Winged Warriors club which I started. Guys who got to know me knew I had a weak spot for '72 Road Runners too. At one time I had a file on 1970 Dodge Challengers with over 200 fender tags that we pulled off of cars in the wrecking yards out here. Had probably that many fender tags for 1969 Chargers too. Got harder and harder though to find tags as guys thought the fender tags must be valuable because my friends were pulling them off the wrecked cars in the yards for me. So if they were gone, they HAD to be valuable, right? Ha, ha! Back in the early years the Pick-A-Part type yards out here wouldn't sell you the whole car. You could buy the whole car in pieces so that there was nothing left of it in the yard. But you couldn't get a title for it. I had a friend who had a whole pile of '71 & '72 Satellite tags that he threw away because they were not a muscle car. I wish he would of given them to me so I could of tied them in with the Road Runner tags to see how they fit in production. I miss the days of going to the wrecking yards when these cars used to be there. One week there might not be any '69 Chargers there. The very next week there would 6 to 10 of them.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:07 am

I was a member of the Winged Warriors / NBOA for many years back when I thought one day I'd own a Superbird. That has been my ultimate mopar, but the cost of those cars has always been just a little out of reach for me, even back in the late 80s as a teenager.

I didn't start collecting 72 RR/Satellite VINs, fender tags, and broadcast sheet info till several years after I had already been gathering 71 info, so my database of 72s is much smaller than the 71s. Still. I have over 400 72 cars (between road runners and Satellites). For a couple years, Nick Sciortino was helping me run an online registry, but he had to give that up when his parts business started to grow. I've taked to Dave about dedicating a page on the Nest for the registry, but that's been on the back burner for several years. Unfortunately, I don't have the technical expertise to set something up myself....so the registry remains unofficial for now.

By the way, I only have one B1 Satellite recorded.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

ILUV72RRs
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 340 Road Runner, 1972 400 Road Runner

Post by ILUV72RRs » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Fortunately for me Eric I bought my first Superbird back in 1975. They weren't as expensive as they are now. I don't have one anymore. No, I don't miss not having a winged car. I do get tired of people saying, "Oh, don't you wish you still had yours? They're worth sooo much money!" I will admit that I got into them because I was tired of dumping money into Mopars, and coming out on the short end back then. I always figured a winged car would be worth something because of it's looks. Sort of a, "I can have my cake, and eat it too," deal. As I couldn't seem to get hot rodding out of my system. I could build the engine in a winged car, and as long as it looked stock it would sell. I've only had one '71 RR over the years. Had too many projects at the time, and sold it. Wish I still had it, as it was loaded, sun roof, etc.. Last I heard it was still in New Mexico in a warehouse collection waiting to be restored "someday" down the line. Yes, he's an investor. That wasn't the person I sold it to. I know what you mean about having the technical expertise to set up the computer. Heck, I don't even know how to post pictures due to the program my wife has set up on the computer. Even my son said it was a nightmare, and he's a computer guy! I'm 65 now. If I was younger than I wouldn't of been around to enjoy them when they were new.

FBRR
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1972 Roadrunner 340 B1 blue reflective white strobe stripe

Post by FBRR » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:52 pm

My 1972 Roadrunner 340 is B1 blue

FBRR
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1972 Roadrunner 340 B1 blue reflective white strobe stripe

Post by FBRR » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:43 pm

White bucket interior

sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Post by sdweatherman » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:53 pm

Very nice FBRR! Have you contacted Eric at the 71-72 Plymouth B-body registry about your car? I am sure he would like to hear about it. You can contact him at:
PlymouthBbodyregistry7172@outlook.com

Good luck and have fun with that RR!
Scott.
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof