1971 Road Runner Parts Question & Help

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

CoronetRTguy
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: Working on getting a 1971 Road Runner its a 383 numbers matching car that will need some work.

1971 Road Runner Parts Question & Help

Post by CoronetRTguy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:12 am

Okay I think I'm going to get this 71 Road Runner. I dont think it needs a grill and I'm not sure what else it will really need so my questions are.

What grills will work for the 71 Road Runner?

Is the grill Bird reproduced?

Do they reproduce the tail lights?

Do they reproduce head lights?

Do they reproduce side marker lights?

So tell me what vendors to look at and who send out real catalogs. I had PPF format when looking up parts I like to have a hard copy in front of me. I also like to find out who the good vendors are. I used to use Paddock, yearone and Stephens Performance and other sources when I could find them.

So tell me who is the best to use and who is reproducing what. I watched Graveyard Carz and saw who they used and I'm trying to get catalogs from them as we speak.

Thanks everyone and now its time to get this Road Runner back to life.

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

Re: 1971 Road Runner Parts Question & Help

Post by CtownRunner » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:19 am

BE/A from Litchfield Ohio.
Chech out his ad in almost any Mopar Magazine.
They have the largest Mopar authorized reprocudtions of anybody.

Mike Ross owns BE/A.
They have the tail light lens, and side marker lights. BE/A is not the cheapest just the best.
They have paper catalogs.

http://www.beaparts.com/

Dantes is another that members use often.

The grill bird is reproduced but I have heard the screw is a little short that attaches it to the grill.
I found an original unpainted one for $35.

Any Sat/GTX/RR grill from 1971 will work. It is a one year only grill. Look on ebay or moparts. I do see them often at the Nats/Carlisle swap area.

Good luck. the hunt is half the fun.

71ChallengerSE
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner RM23 Numbers Matching 340 4spd
1972 Satellite Sebring Plus EV2 1 Owner Family Special Order
1971 Challenger 383 R/T tribute
1971 Dodge Demon 'Sizzler'
1970 Dart Swinger 'Special' 340 pro-touring
1975 Dart Swinger/Scamp project confused 225 super six

Post by 71ChallengerSE » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:22 pm

CtownRunner wrote: Any Sat/GTX/RR grill from 1971 will work. It is a one year only grill. Look on ebay or moparts. I do see them often at the Nats/Carlisle swap area.
It was used for 2 years, they are cheap and easy to find. I have 4 of them.
1972 Road Runner RM23 Numbers Matching 340 4spd
1972 Satellite Sebring Plus EV2 1 Owner Family

CoronetRTguy
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: Working on getting a 1971 Road Runner its a 383 numbers matching car that will need some work.

Post by CoronetRTguy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:26 pm

CtownRunner wrote:BE/A from Litchfield Ohio.
Chech out his ad in almost any Mopar Magazine.
They have the largest Mopar authorized reprocudtions of anybody.

Mike Ross owns BE/A.
They have the tail light lens, and side marker lights. BE/A is not the cheapest just the best.
They have paper catalogs.

http://www.beaparts.com/

Dantes is another that members use often.

The grill bird is reproduced but I have heard the screw is a little short that attaches it to the grill.
I found an original unpainted one for $35.

Any Sat/GTX/RR grill from 1971 will work. It is a one year only grill. Look on ebay or moparts. I do see them often at the Nats/Carlisle swap area.

Good luck. the hunt is half the fun.
Thanks I just saved that link and I will see about getting a printed book for their parts. I saw 71 side marker lights for Chargers but not Road Runner. I did find a place the other day that had the Road Runner stuff. I will find that link and post it in this thread in just a minute.

CoronetRTguy
Road Runner (RM)

Post by CoronetRTguy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:28 pm

71ChallengerSE wrote:
CtownRunner wrote: Any Sat/GTX/RR grill from 1971 will work. It is a one year only grill. Look on ebay or moparts. I do see them often at the Nats/Carlisle swap area.
Yeah I dont know if I sent a pm back last night to you or not over on the B body site. If this one comes and the grill is bad or if I ask and know its bad when I get we may be talking for one of those grills.

Shoot me some prices either in pm or on my email I think you have my email still.

CoronetRTguy
Road Runner (RM)

Post by CoronetRTguy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:34 pm

These are two of the places that Graveyard Carz are using and they seem to only use OEM parts or reproduction parts that are done back to OEM.

http://www.pgclassic.com/ This is the place that had the side marker lights for the 71 Road Runners and up. I didn't see tail lights yet but I have not looked and I'm waiting to see if they send me a printed catalog I may call this week and see if they got my request.

http://www.passion4mopars.com/ They also used wiper motors from this place and said they are factory exact in what they do. I have not looked over the site much but will later on.

I really have not asked what the Road Runner will need and doing this as long as I have I always know that grills, side marker lights, tail lights and some other trim items are the first things to start looking for and are for the most part the first things that are bad. My 70 Coronet R/T I had was the exception on side marker lights the set it came with could have passed for NOS but nothing else could have passed for good used parts they were that bad.

Thanks and keep the info coming guys.

I wanted to ask anyone reproduce the outside rear view mirrors? The ones on this car are bad looked broken in two not sure they can be fixed. They are chrome if I can fix them I would paint them body color.

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

Post by CtownRunner » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:00 pm

I left the house at 6A. Not enough coffee. As I was driving I remember the 71 grill was the same on the 72 Satellite.

71ChallengerSE
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner RM23 Numbers Matching 340 4spd
1972 Satellite Sebring Plus EV2 1 Owner Family Special Order

Post by 71ChallengerSE » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:13 pm

CoronetRTguy wrote:
71ChallengerSE wrote:
Yeah I dont know if I sent a pm back last night to you or not over on the B body site. If this one comes and the grill is bad or if I ask and know its bad when I get we may be talking for one of those grills.

Shoot me some prices either in pm or on my email I think you have my email still.
Yeah no problem I have one that I already restored that is perfect and has a NOS bird in it.
1972 Road Runner RM23 Numbers Matching 340 4spd
1972 Satellite Sebring Plus EV2 1 Owner Family

CoronetRTguy
Road Runner (RM)

Post by CoronetRTguy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Shoot me some prices either in pm or on my email I think you have my email still.[/quote]

Yeah no problem I have one that I already restored that is perfect and has a NOS bird in it.[/quote]

Sounds good and if you can pm or email me the price of it. I'm going to work up the prices of parts and what I think it will need and I'm adding high so if I come in under my price I will be cool and if I come to that price I wont be shocked and if I see I'm going over it I need to back off a little and wait on some things as I do it. I know the market is ever changing.

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:54 pm

Most of the items offered by both BEAparts.com and PGClassics.com(Canadian based) are the same parts and produced by the same off-shore manufacturer, although nice to have the option now, most of these parts are nothing near OE in terms of quality compared to original parts. I have several examples of items purchased from them I couldn’t bring myself to use due to quality and was forced to seek restorable or NOS original parts. BEAparts.com appears now to have acquired reproduction licensing on some parts from Chrysler; hopefully the quality has improved in the last several years.
While agree with some of Mr. Worman’s vendor recommendations, on his recent TV show, there are several more quality sources out there, better off doing your own research. I too have followed with interest the first attempt at an all-Mopar restoration show to hit the air waves. However, too much E-body emphasis for my taste. The first five so called “character building” episodes would have been completely unwatchable if weren’t for the cars. The final show did show more car stuff but defiantly also had the feel of an infomercial, with a great deal of product and vendor promotion, including product placement in the shop. Clearly they’ve been rebuilding Mopars for some time and have done some very nice work, but I’ve spotted several OE mistakes on cars they have done. Here’s one that should be pretty obvious here on this site;

CoronetRTguy
Road Runner (RM)

Post by CoronetRTguy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:41 am

Thanks, I will ask more this week about the marker lights and tail lights. I think they are all there and I know he has a few parts cars so maybe I can add those to my list of parts and things for him to fix.

Does anyone know what Graveyard Carz meant by acid washing the tail lights? If I knew that could bring them back to life ti would have saved me some money on my 70 Coronet R/T.

Yeah NOS parts are what I did with my R/T and I spent cash to get them. I want to build it back to a little better then driver status.

I wont be going OE with it due to my funds and then I would be back to being scared of what will happen if it gets a chip in the paint when I drive it type of thing.

I'm reading everything I can on the 71-74 B body cars. I wonder if the side mirrors on the car can be fixed. They are broken in half so wondering if they could be welded (not sure what they are made of) and then either re-chromed or painted body color. I would go body color.

Thanks everyone keep the info coming on anything and everything.

CoronetRTguy
Road Runner (RM)

Post by CoronetRTguy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:43 am

Oh forgot one thing can someone tell me whats wrong with the Road Runner not being OEM correct?

Something looks off on the chin spoilers to me but I dont know.

I do talk to Mark Wormman and the guys of Graveyard Carz from time to time on Facebook. I did get them on the movie Phantasam. They didnt know there was a few different year Barracuda/Cuda used in the movie. The first movie didnt have a 71 it had a 70 and the hood call out on it was wrong. The movie was written around the Cuda the writer/director loves Cudas.

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Post by 71bird » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:02 am

Hi, glad you'er doing the bird. I read through the posts and have a few points. I have been told that the repo tail light lens let too much light through, I haven't actually looked but thats what I've been told. You can see the bulb through the lens.I have a set of repo mirrors I will sell at a good price. These were the first gen. repos ,not that good, but ok for a driver. I'll get my originals rechromed, if I can find them.As far as that green RR in the picture goes stay away from who ever built it, they don't know anything about these cars. The front spoilers are on backwards, and thats just the front of the car,so what else is wrong.And would have to check the build date to see if the park lights should be clear or amber, and one head light looks funny.Talk to the people on here that have lived with these cars.And I'm in East Tennessee, if you live not too far away you can look at my car to get ideas, cause its not finished.
71 Road Runner - J68

gary
GTX (RS)
My Cars: '71 GTX Gold Leaf Met.440 A/T

Post by gary » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:07 am

Hi,Be sure to check out our classifieds , I have a Drv.side rem.mirror w/good glass and dull chrome.40.00 + postage :beer:

CoronetRTguy
Road Runner (RM)

Post by CoronetRTguy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:22 am

Thanks guys will do. I'm still working on the details on the car and tyring to get the rest of my funds together. I just spent a chunk of them for school.

The owner is doing all the metal work and I asked about the mirrors today and he may have an extra set he will let me know. Also after I take these classes (6-12 months) and get into my job field it may be something I have him do more of the work on.

I dont know if I gave out his web site or not he does a lot of restro mods and does all MOPARs. Jermey told that he put up pics of his 70 Road Runner so check it out (car is a work in progress right now) at http://www.musclecarcreations.net/ and look at the project page for the 66 Charger that he will have done very soon and the 70 Road Runner.

If this falls through I still want a 71 Road Runner and I want one something bad.