Lowering Suspension/Wheels

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

pats71
GTX (RS)

Lowering Suspension/Wheels

Post by pats71 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Figured I'd revisit this topic after going back and looking at an old thread. After looking at pics of member Gionni's car, I was curious how you achieve that stance with a torsion bar/leaf spring suspension?

I really like the look of 20 inch wheels on are cars as long there is no gap between the top of the tire and the wheel well lip. Basically a tucked under look. And can anyone tell me what wheels Gionni is using, ie dimensions, backspace, and brand? I remember him saying it used a 7mm offset.

Also looking for more pics of 71-74 b-bodies with big wheels. I like the stock road wheels and the slots, but for some reason on our cars, the taller wheels seem to really stand out compared to earlier mopars and give the 71-72 cars a bit of a domestic exotic look.
1971 Plymouth Roadrunner
383/4 speed/Air Conditioning

bruce
Site Admin

Re: Lowering Suspension/Wheels

Post by bruce » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:14 am

17" TTs on mine. 4.5" backspace. It could use more height... 20s would work.
Attachments
RRFrnt1.jpg
RRFrnt1.jpg (252.43 KiB) Viewed 7511 times
Bruce Anliker

471Magnum
GTX (RS)

Post by 471Magnum » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:05 pm

20s might look nice, but it'll ride like crap and track even worse.

If I were to consider using wide low profile rubber up front, first thing I would do is invest in some aftermarket control arms with additional caster built in. That will help keep the wandering to a minimum, but it won't improve the ride.
-Jim
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ULTIMATE set of tools... I can fix it."

pats71
GTX (RS)

Post by pats71 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:32 pm

I really want to avoid going that far into the aftermarket realm on this car. Rather keep the stock control arms as I've already invested 2500 in the EFI system and polygraphite front end alone. Only other mods I'll be making is the firm feel gear box and possibly a torsion bar swap. I have the 383 .92 torsion bars but not sure if they are able to handle the additional weight and torque from the 440.
1971 Plymouth Roadrunner
383/4 speed/Air Conditioning

471Magnum
GTX (RS)

Post by 471Magnum » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:24 pm

If you're making the big dollar investment in 20 inch rubber, what's another $300 for control arms?!?!
-Jim
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ULTIMATE set of tools... I can fix it."

gionni
GTX (RS)

Post by gionni » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:50 pm

hi pats71

my car has that stance trough an airride-suspension. on front i have an RMS-AlterKtion suspension, but modified with shockwave airride shocks. rear setup is an street-lynx 4-link suspension from RMS, even modified with shockwaves. if you want a lowered car that you can drive with no rubbing anywhere, you can just turn down the front torsion bars. rear you can install lowered leaf springs or lowering blocks on the stock springs.

but caution: if you lowering the car too much, you can have the problem that the driveshaft can rubber on the center tunnel. i needed to modify my center tunnel and make it 2" higher, to can drive it as low. if you dont want to modify anything, than lower the car rear maximum about 2"!

my wheels are budnik's (model "ice"), the dimensions are 19x8 and 20x10. the offset is 7mm all around. the tire-dimensions are 245/40-19 and 275/40-20. the wheels don't rubber anywhere, with COMPLETE stock body and no tubbing (even when the suspension is complete deflated).

i hope this can help you... :wink:
"PRO RUNNER" 1971 Road Runner Pro Touring (GY9 Tawny Gold)
AERODYNAMIC IS FOR PEOPLE THAT CAN'T BUILD ENGINES!

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:31 pm

One suggestion on lowering the rear....just flip the front spring hangers. That save a lot of headaches down the road. If you drop the t bars significantly, I would strongly suggest upper control control arms from Magnum Force or another quality vendor for alignment issues.
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs