71 Roadrunner front bumpers

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

drodg
Road Runner (RM)

71 Roadrunner front bumpers

Post by drodg » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:26 pm

I have never seen but have been told that there was a 71 front bumper (painted) that had a beak on it. Does anyone have a car with this or have heard of this? I am trying to buy a car and have been told it has this different styled front painted bumper. Thanks Dave

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:52 pm

The factory body-color bumper was actually an elastomeric. It does have a "lip" at the top so it doesn't follow the clean sweeping lines of the car. Lots of guys are painting their steel bumpers, but the true elastomeric bumpers are pretty rare. You'd be surprised at what the factory elastomeric bumpers are worth. If the car's a deal, snap it up!
Bruce Anliker

drodg
Road Runner (RM)

Roadrunner bumpers

Post by drodg » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:21 pm

I know the bumpers are elastomeric if painted. I was told today that there were two types of elastomeric bumpers. The one having more of a beak. I have never heard this before and it may be misinformation. Thanks for the reply & it just maybe it has a correct elastomeric front bumper.

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:52 pm

I've never heard of two types of elastomerics. The only ones I've seen actually LOOK like they have some kind of "applique" to a regular steel bumper, hence the "lip" we're discussing. Hope it's the real deal, if it is, you've scored yourself quite a find!
Bruce Anliker

drodg
Road Runner (RM)

71 Roadrunner

Post by drodg » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:46 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have a few cars now and have wanted a 71-72 Roadrunner for sometime. I called a guy who finds cars for me and he mentioned it. I'll probably know more tomorrow. The car is Plum Crazy and it is out west. As I've looked at pictures today you can tell there is a difference between the chrome fronts and the elastomeric fronts. Thanks again. Dave