71 plymouth satellite sunroof cars made

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

72 blue 400
Satellite Sebring (RH)

71 plymouth satellite sunroof cars made

Post by 72 blue 400 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:28 pm

looking at a 71 satellite power sunroof car,was wondering how many were made.car is green on green,383 buckets ralley gauges no a/c

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Re: 71 plymouth satellite sunroof cars made

Post by road chicken » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:38 pm

Got to be less than 150. Only 82 RR and 32 GTX's were made with them according to the production option figures.
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

71rm23
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by 71rm23 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:14 pm

With only approximately 420 sunroof cars TOTAL among the Challengers and Plymouth and Dodge B-bodies, I would be shocked if the number of Satellites with sunroofs was even more than 100 made. I will keep searching to see if I can come up with an official number.

Jeff

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:43 pm

total sunroof production for the Satellite line was 0.5%...reference: Confidential 1972 Plymouth Advance Information. Link to Hamtramck Historical
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/ima ... uth_10.jpg

Given a total production of about 70,700 across the whole Satellite line including GTX and road runner, this should equate to about 353 total cars (including GTX and road runner).
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

71rm23
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by 71rm23 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:40 pm

Eric, you sure know what topic to get me involved in!! I know that's what the numbers equate to, but I have always thought the .5% is in error. By that thinking, after you subtract the 353 from 420, that only leaves 67 units with sunroofs for all the other lines. The numbers don't add up. I have always felt the percentage for the satellite line were inflated. Or this way, subtract the 32 and 82 sunroof GTX's and RR's from 353 that leaves 239 Satellites built with sunroofs!? NO WAY were there that many satellites with sunroofs made.

Jeff

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Jeff - I figured if anyone had exact numbers you would...consider this a challenge to find a more accurate number :P
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

71rm23
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by 71rm23 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:57 pm

Eric,
I wouldn't call them exact, but I think they are close. I need to do more research to back up what I have discovered so far. I am sure only you and I would find it interesting--some of the sunroof information I have gathered over the years. I need to give you a call on some of the other "Homework" you assigned me. :)

Jack
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner with factory installed power sunroof 383 4 speed manual

Post by Jack » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:43 pm

Jack up here in Canada. I have a 71 Road Runner that I am currently restoring that has a factory power sun roof. When I purchased my car I was told that there was only 84 power sunroof Road Runners that were sent to Canada. My Challenge is to find a reproduction gasket/seal for the sun roof. Hoping maybe one of you guys might have a possible sourse

Doright
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 72 SE sun roof charger
73 RR clone project
73 RR clone New hemi conversion
57 Chrysler New Yorker 2 dr hemi car
78 TA
a few more but Sold the good ones

Post by Doright » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Ya I have a source for those seals? well the Felt/Lead bulb seal any way the Rubber ones are Hard to impossible to find but the guy who has the felt was working on getting the rubber ones too I need to check back with him.

I need to find another set of cables as well I want to have a back up set just in case along with a few extra Gears.

Source = Kelly's Sunroofs AZ
Hope it helps

Doright
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 72 SE sun roof charger
73 RR clone project
73 RR clone New hemi conversion
57 Chrysler New Yorker 2 dr hemi car
78 TA
a few more but Sold the good ones

Post by Doright » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:47 pm

I would like to Know were you guys came up with production numbers for the 71-72 Sun roof Mopars??????

Its My understanding that Chrysler doesnt have any production numbers available and Neither does American Sunroof. I do know about 70-71 American Sunroof corp did set up a shop about that time were they could have the cars shipped in by rail for the conversion and put back on train to go where ever they went for the mfg.
I also know they were doing more than just Chrysler's they did Ford and Cadillac too and a few others so How many cars were actually done in any one given year only God really knows but knowing How Technical the conversion is i'm sure they couldn't have had too many skilled technicians too do too many in any given year till they created the kits in 73 for the MFG to install themselves.

If you got more info P L E A S E ! ! ! Share :help:
I have a 72 SE U code whats the dam code for sun roof H? M? yep its got that too!
Im not a Code numbers guy Just a Mechanic who Loves His Mopars

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:12 pm

Doright wrote:I would like to Know were you guys came up with production numbers for the 71-72 Sun roof Mopars??????

Its My understanding that Chrysler doesnt have any production numbers available and Neither does American Sunroof. I do know about 70-71 American Sunroof corp did set up a shop about that time were they could have the cars shipped in by rail for the conversion and put back on train to go where ever they went for the mfg.
I also know they were doing more than just Chrysler's they did Ford and Cadillac too and a few others so How many cars were actually done in any one given year only God really knows but knowing How Technical the conversion is i'm sure they couldn't have had too many skilled technicians too do too many in any given year till they created the kits in 73 for the MFG to install themselves.

If you got more info P L E A S E ! ! ! Share :help:
I have a 72 SE U code whats the dam code for sun roof H? M? yep its got that too!
Im not a Code numbers guy Just a Mechanic who Loves His Mopars
I'm not that familiar with Chargers, but for plymouths a G as the first letter in the VON (vehicle order number) designates a sunroof car. The VON is found on the fender tag, 2nd line up from the bottom, right side.
If you look at my earlier post you'll see a link to where the numbers came from that I cited.
Welcome to the nest.

71rm23
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by 71rm23 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:51 am

As Eric stated, The VON is usually preceeded by the letter "G". I have also seen 2 early sunroof cars preceeded by the letter "M" as well. The same applies to the 1971 Charger sunroof cars as well. I do not track any of the 1972 cars so I can not comment on that for certain, but I believe the "G" applied to this year as well.

As for the production figures, the credit for the numbers that are out there are from Jimmy Boros. He supplied ALL information about sunroof cars to Galen Govier. Galen would probably be the last person to call to find out any info about sunroof cars. Jimmy and I talk frequently about the subject. I know he tracks the 1972 cars as well. We are both still learning new things all the time. Yes, ASC did a lot of sunroof installations besides Chrysler products. The generally accepted position was that the cars were all shipped to ASC for the installation. I am fairly certain the St. Louis built cars were pulled from the line to a separate area at the plant and had the sunroofs installed by ASC personnel. Other plants, probably the cars were sent over to a Local ASC service center to be installed.

Now for parts. Yes, the parts are EXTREMELY hard to come by. There are a few of us out there actively acquiring as many of these parts as we can find. Jimmy has some stuff, I have some stuff. We both are starting to have certain items reproduced. Different items of course, so we do not duplicate each other. I do not have my list of vendors with me for various parts out there. The seals can be had by reproduction now by Kelley's sunroof parts. True, I believe there are a couple of us working on the rubber rain diverter that goes on the back of the sunroof panel. I know there is a guy working on having the cables repaired and possibly reproduced--I need to check back with him to check his progress.

Sorry to be so lengthy, but this subject is usually anything but a short discussion. Do not hesitate to contact me for any other info someone may require. I will do my best to at least get you in the right direction!

Jeff

P.S. Eric probably fell off his chair with this much writing coming from me!!

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:12 pm

M usually shows up in the VON on pilot cars whether they have a sunroof or not.

This can't be the same Jeff I know with such a long post on the Nest :lol:

71rm23
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by 71rm23 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:09 pm

Eric, I know, I figured you would doubt it was really me posting! Also, you are correct on the "M" usually on the pilot cars. However, the build sheet I have on the one car is built 922---way too late for a pilot car.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:35 pm

71rm23 wrote:Eric, I know, I figured you would doubt it was really me posting! Also, you are correct on the "M" usually on the pilot cars. However, the build sheet I have on the one car is built 922---way too late for a pilot car.
Jeff - very interesting, I don't believe I've seen that build sheet...you're holding out on me! :P