Hood pin cables

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

NOrrTH
GTX (RS)

Hood pin cables

Post by NOrrTH » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:35 pm

I bought, from the Chrysler dealership, Authentic Mopar Classic Restoration hood pin and cable kit for my car as it was missing the cables and pin clips.

What a complete piece of crap. The circular chrome hood piece is slightly thicker than a piece of tinfoil compared with my stock 1/4" thick hunk of chromed metal. Thankfully I didn't need those, but I did need the cables. Two sizes to choose from, rubber bumper and regular. I have a regular bumper and not only are the cables too short, but they have a hard plastic coating that wears the paint off the car in a very short period.

Does anyone know where to source better repops?

BTW - I am pretty sure I screwed them to the correct hole near the hood pin. They are 24 7/8" long from center eyelet to eyelet.
'71 GTX N96

Clone Runner
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Re: Hood pin cables

Post by Clone Runner » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:10 pm

heres where i got mine, just select the length you need, i cant remember which one.

http://www.dalescudashop.com/lanyards.html
Adam

1972 Road Runner (clone)

NOrrTH
GTX (RS)

Post by NOrrTH » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:05 pm

Can you tell me what your cables are coated with?

It doesn't look like Dales sells rubber bumper lanyards as 25" is the maximum length and that is tight - not that I need them.

Mine are coated in a white'ish flexable hard plastic which my restorer said is incorrect. I figured the plastic would be too hard and would scratch the paint, which it did. So much for "Authentic Restoration Parts"
'71 GTX N96

Clone Runner
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by Clone Runner » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:21 pm

mine are coated with a clear plastic. i got chrome bumpers on the car so they don't scratch, but i know what you mean, i got hood pins on my 05 Rumble Bee with fiberglass 6 pack hood, and i run the cables through the grill to the pin and they do leave marks as they rub. it really don't bother me to much, i just wax the hell out of it.
Adam

1972 Road Runner (clone)

NOrrTH
GTX (RS)

Post by NOrrTH » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:15 pm

I put this info here to help people research in future.

The restoration shop that did my car sent me a gift in the mail:

- NOS lanyards and clips, part 3579673 They are 26" long center eyelet to eyelet

Dales Cuda Shop sent me 23" lines (even though I asked for 25's) because "thats what all the B Body guys get". I suspect its a '70 / '71 body style thing.

So I researched this most of the day and cant see anyone repop'ing anything longer than 25" even though there are Superbirds and rubber bumper cars. I definitely have the right screw hole thanks to two sources, an original Chysler mounting sheet and a thread in these forums with a picture pointing to the hole. The cables are routed between the bumper and the grille above the headlight bezel. There is no shorter way to route them (other than going between the bumper and the body). 23"'s will not reach the pins, 25" fits snug and 26" is a little loose.

Maybe the 26" is for the rubber bumper? I dont know as I cant find a part number to verify.
'71 GTX N96

1bluegtx
GTX (RS)

Post by 1bluegtx » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:07 pm

Here is something interesting, The factory magazine ad for the 1971 roadrunner, a red 383 with rubber bumpers, shows the cables looping up between the hood and the fender/header panel NOT THROUGH THE GRILL
also the factory parts manual only lists one part number for 71 b bodies so only one cable length.

BRIAN
Its not numbers matching
It doesn't run on pump gas
And it doesn't purr like a kitten
11.73 at 115mph

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:13 pm

For cable mounting (and correct hood pin hardware), here's a pic from a survivor.
Attachments
IMG_1049.JPG
IMG_1049.JPG (60.97 KiB) Viewed 16506 times
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

NOrrTH
GTX (RS)

Post by NOrrTH » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks for the picture.

Look at the rad support to fender piece on my car. It seems they changed the part or started stamping holes, and there's no indent on that raised ridge. Mines the same as Bruce's '72, yet its a '71
Attachments
rsz_71_gtx_hood_pin_cable_location.jpg
rsz_71_gtx_hood_pin_cable_location.jpg (186.54 KiB) Viewed 16499 times
'71 GTX N96

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:56 pm

The additional holes (two 5/16" bolt holes with a smaller locating tab hole, each side) in the fender support are related to the relocation of the horns forward of the core support in 72'. Appears you may have 72' fenders, close look at the metal work around the side marker lights, may prove a conversion at some point. One of my 72' donor cars had one 71' fender on it without the additional holes and a filled in 71' side marker mounting.

As for the lanyards, the 3579673 26" part number above, the 72' parts books has it as an e-body part and an 18" lanyard listed for the b-bodies. This picture of a possible original 72' car may support the lanyard not routed out around the bumper but up between panels.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:18 pm

Also note the pin mounting hardware on the reference pics. The serrated washer supplied with the repops is not correct for these cars.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

1bluegtx
GTX (RS)

Post by 1bluegtx » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:22 pm

NOrrTH wrote:Thanks for the picture.

Look at the rad support to fender piece on my car. It seems they changed the part or started stamping holes, and there's no indent on that raised ridge. Mines the same as Bruce's '72, yet its a '71
Mine has the extra holes,both original 71 fenders.

BRIAN
Its not numbers matching
It doesn't run on pump gas
And it doesn't purr like a kitten
11.73 at 115mph

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:18 am

Eric wrote:Also note the pin mounting hardware on the reference pics. The serrated washer supplied with the repops is not correct for these cars.
Probably should note as well that good portion of those original hood pins were actually dealer installed back then. Kits for the different models containing the exact same hardware used by the factory were provided through the dealer parts network. The skill level of individual performing the work was somewhat varied however. I had the pleasure of drilling holes in countless new hoods myself.

NOrrTH
GTX (RS)

Post by NOrrTH » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:11 pm

Looking at that picture of the blue car just above, I see its got an upright pin clip whereas the NOS pins and 26" lanyards are flat. I wonder if there were two styles of clips for E and B body cars? Also, if 18" lanyards are correct for B bodys, the only way they could possibly fit is between the hood and header panel.

These two pictures from Chrysler would seem to indicate that is, in fact, the case. Thats a 'Cuda below the Charger R/T and a Swinger 340 below the Roadrunner. It seems that only the Superbee/Coronet R/T and the 'Cuda had the lanyards routed through the grille.

Regarding my fenders being '72 on a '71; I'll have another look at it when I get home, but off the top of my head, I dont recall seeing any metal work on the inside of the fender around the side marker lights, which are inset.

That said, Chrysler's picture of the mounting location doesnt resemble a 71 or 72 so who the hell knows. :rant:
Attachments
hood pin diagram.jpeg
hood pin diagram.jpeg (77.52 KiB) Viewed 16479 times
hood pin diagram3.jpeg
hood pin diagram3.jpeg (63.11 KiB) Viewed 16479 times
'71 GTX N96

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:26 pm

I would suspect the Road Runner / GTX in the diagram is a 70, as the hood does not extend to the bumper on 71/72 cars.

NOrrTH
GTX (RS)

Post by NOrrTH » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:58 pm

ahh your right, thats why I dont recognize the cowl support, I thought it was a 71/72 with the bumper off. :beer:
'71 GTX N96