Need help

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Need help

Post by moparmike » Fri May 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Okay my SSP has me baffled..................I can start the car and it will run forever but if I put it in gear it quits. It has new gas........fluids are all new. I just got it out of storage and drove it home 2 days ago and now I wanted to take it for a drive and she is misbehaving...Help me Nesters please what could it be :cry:

It has a rebuilt 440 with a 727 trans,
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

ILUV72RRs
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 340 Road Runner, 1972 400 Road Runner

Re: Need help

Post by ILUV72RRs » Fri May 20, 2011 8:47 pm

Gee Mike, maybe it's afraid of getting hit. So it's trying to tell you it doesn't want to leave your driveway! Don't worry, one of the guys on here will come up with the real reason. Enjoy it once you get out there.

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Fri May 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Thats a good one :haha: and actually your right I worry all the time about getting hit. I am going to check the timing in the morning in case it is that easy. :beer: :help: :help:
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

471Magnum
GTX (RS)

Post by 471Magnum » Fri May 20, 2011 11:54 pm

Probably idling on the vacuum advance. See if your timing is stable at idle. If not, disconnect and plug the vacuum. Then tune the carb to idle with the vacuum disconnected. Idle mix is probably too lean, so the throttle plates are open past the idle slots causing the vacuum advance to kick in.
-Jim
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ULTIMATE set of tools... I can fix it."

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Sat May 21, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks I will try that and see what happens.....It has rained and rained here for weeks and FINALLY the sun has arrived and I reallllly want to take her for a spin so I hope this does the trick. :beer:

beepbeepTyler
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Road Runner (340 cubic inch 4-Barrel)

Post by beepbeepTyler » Sun May 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Seen this happen to multiple cars: Most-likely your RR isn't idling properly. I suggest downloading the manual for your carb (whether it be Holley,Demon, EdelBrock, etc) and finding out how to adjust your idle and float levels. Most of the time the adjustment screw is near the throttle or inside the top of the model. Make sure to remember how many turns out your float bowls are in case you can't find a better mixture. Make sure your RR idles at 950-1050rpm. Then check the exhaust for oil/gas blow-back (running rich). If its not running rich then drop it into neutral without giving gas; if it stalls it's running "lean" (basically your car thinks its on a diet). Adjust again until it drops into gear smoothly. It's a guess and check process :wink:

Hope it helps :beer:
Attachments
signature.jpg
signature.jpg (42.37 KiB) Viewed 13990 times
______
-Tyler
"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Mon May 23, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks for the tips I am off to try right now and with a little luck maybe I go take her out and burn up some petro this afternoon :beer:

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Tue May 24, 2011 1:55 pm

Okay my car is possessed :stirpot: I went out with the intent of having to fix the problem so I thought since the car has sat for a few days I would start it to confirm the issue........... :? Now it seems to be ok :? I started it .........let it warm up...........put it in gear.......and all seems ok :?

:oops: what the heck :? I will try it again tonight and if everything seems fine I will take it around the block to see what happens but I am :? confused to say the least

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Thu May 26, 2011 8:18 am

Was the radio playing? Had other things magically repaired themselves while you were gone? Do you call the car Christine? :shock: :D
Bruce Anliker

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:17 pm

I always enjoy explaining why something happens In humorous ways.I also believe objects have their own minds sometimes.It keeps me In a good mood so I don't get frustrated or take what I'm doing to serious to where I don't enjoy It.Whether Its something to where you have no clue what happened or you know exactly what happen but would rather believe something more amusing. :D

A family friend broke a piston In his motor,he Insists It tried to switch cylinders. :lol:

My brother was changing plugs one day on his lemans.Leaning Into the engine bay the car turned over and the keys were In his pocket.He says It was bad wiring.I said "Ooh she likes It when you touch her there."

And of course when i get hurt while working on my car,i call it all sorts of names as if It did it on purpose.then ill usually apologize.

maybe your car wasn't feeling good,or had a reason to be difficult :lol: .YES there Is a logical reason,but hey you spend time with it,you take care of it,Its a family member,brain or not.
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Sun May 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Yeah I know what you mean I guess I wanted to play around with her and she was not in the mood :haha:

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:54 pm

moparmike wrote:Yeah I know what you mean I guess I wanted to play around with her and she was not in the mood :haha:
:lol:
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:29 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: Your not gonna believe it :oops: :oops: :oops: I found the problem :oops: :oops:

One of the leads to the balast resistor had fallen off and I did not notice it :oops: :oops: :oops:

The good news is that my timing etc is bang on :oops: :oops: :oops:

My brother came by to take a look and he noticed it in 30 seconds :oops:

Thanks for all the suggestions :beer: but I just realized something :lol: YOU CAN"T FIX :lol: STUPID :lol:

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:32 pm

Oh lord, you spend ANY amount of time messing with old cars you're gonna end up with your share of "stupid" stories! Ain't it great when it's an EASY fix?! :D
Bruce Anliker

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Aint it the truth....man it stumped me but good