Dash cleanup & 71GTX Gauge Bezel What is your Technique

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Dash cleanup & 71GTX Gauge Bezel What is your Technique

Post by AZ-Nick » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:23 pm

I need to start the cleaning process on the interior of the 71GTX, I will be replacing the seats, carpet and door panels but I need to figure out what to do with the dash.
What do you suggest I use to clean the dash and gauge bezel?
Also what is the easiest way to get 30yrs of grime off the windows?

Does the 71 GTX/RR gauge bezel have a wood like look with a darker color (maybe a dark grey) that flows or swirls in it? Is this the normal look?
Do they cleanup easily or should I look for a real nice or a NOS 71 Gauge Cluster Bezel.

Where would I look for one?
Are there any suppliers that may have any?

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:35 am

I bought an NOS bezel a few years ago by simply typing the parts number into PartsVoice. Mine came out of a dealer in New Jersey. But I think it's going to be VERY, VERY hard to find an NOS one now. I doubt if there are still any left. I see lots of the bezels at the swap meets, but they're not likely to be any better than the one you have.

Yes, the the bezel is supposed to look wood-grained, so it's brown with black paint used to define the "grain" pattern. As for cleaning it, a furniture polish (like Pledge) works great on plastic parts. Fine scratches in the clear plastic over the guages can be polished put with a good quality plastic polish. Parts stores carry it...

30 years of grime on the windows? Lots of elbow grease and window cleaner... remember, glass can also be polished to remove fine scratches and rust stains.

Good luck.
Last edited by bruce on Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Anliker

morty318

Post by morty318 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:56 pm

legendary interiors re-furbishes them like new, re-chrome the rings around the guage clusters, replace the words on the wiper and headlight switches, new wood finish, expensive but wow.. awesome. 3m has a kit for polishing plastic lenses that works awesome.. also make sure you replace all the lights on the guages, even if they work, the new ones are brighter and make the guages look newer

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Post by AZ-Nick » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:53 pm

Thanks for the replies, my bezel cleaned up real good, I was surprized at how good it still was, thanks for the tips.

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

How did you do it?

Post by CtownRunner » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:33 pm

What did you end up using and how did you clean yours up. IN the car or OUT? Read somewhere that the owner took silver paint and a small model kit brush to redo the bezzels and other thin chrome trim. I wonder.......

Ctown
Last edited by CtownRunner on Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Post by AZ-Nick » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:29 am

I cleaned it in the car.
First I used a plain old damp cloth.
Then I used a meguariors (spelling is wrong) plastic and rubber cleaner.
Last I used good old pledge.

It came out better than I could hope for, I still cant believe how good it looks.
Check out this thread to see the pics of before and after.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... =2&fpart=1

Sorry about posting a link to another website.

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:02 am

Looks great! Good job.

I'll admit I went the easy route, I bought a complete tach cluster a while back because it had a really nice bezel with good chrome, and all the gauge faces were nice. I picked it up a couple years ago when you could find a nice tach cluster for $175.
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:22 am

Cool! Looks very, very good. Okay, we need to see MORE pics of that car!!! Nice to hear the Pledge helped you. It's an old modelers trick. And speaking of modeler's tricks, even so-called "chrome" silver paint will never match the sheen of the chrome on these bezels.

Closest thing I've found without springing for an entire rechrome is a modeling product called Bare Metal Foil. It works pretty good to touch up small areas of nicks and scuffs in the chrome. It can be kinda tough to work with and hard to get to stick though... A good hobby store (one that sells model cars) will carry it.
Last edited by bruce on Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bruce Anliker

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Post by AZ-Nick » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:25 am

Bruce wrote:Cool! Looks very, very good. Okay, we need to see MORE pics of that car!!! Nice to hear the Pledge helped you. It's an old modelers trick. And speaking of modeler's tricks, even so-called "chrome" silver paint will never match the sheen of the chrome on these bezels.

Closest thing I've found without springing for an entire rechrome is a modeling product called Bare Metal Foil. It works pretty good to touch up small areas of nicks and scuffs in the chrome. It can be kinda tough to work with and hard to get to stick though...
thanks, for more pics, check out my web page or read Mopar Muscle feb 05 issue, pg 92
http://members.cox.net/nsciortino41/page1.shtml

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:33 am

Chit! We're talking about the car in Mopar Muscle? Yeah, I've already read that article! Very cool story! And since I've owned 2 '71 GTXs myself, I can't help but relate to it. Especially since one of them was the same color. Good luck with that car, and glad I could offer even a small bit of help.
Bruce Anliker

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Post by AZ-Nick » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:46 am

Yes it is the same car.....
did you see how the paint has cleaned up on the front half of the car?
the back is fried from the sun, but the front cleaned up well.
Any pictures of your tawny gold gtx?

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:36 pm

I'm afraid I don't have any pics of my Tawny Gold GTX. I didn't keep it long at all... It had a biege interior and vinyl top just like yours. Yeah the front of your X really shined up nice! Does look like the back end got fried though. That's a shame...
Bruce Anliker

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Post by AZ-Nick » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:39 pm

was yours a 4 speed option?

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:01 pm

The first '71 GTX I had was a 4-speed car. Sherwood Green with a black interior. The second one was Tawny Gold with the tan interior (or whatever the official color was) and was an automatic, console car. Pretty heavily optioned, even had air. And was very straight and not real rusty... Another "shoulda kept it" car... :(
Bruce Anliker

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Post by AZ-Nick » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:03 pm

As I said in my other thread, I can't seem to find any other GTX tawny gold 4 speed cars with a full vinyl top.