Concourse Restoration

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

Elvad
GTX (RS)

Concourse Restoration

Post by Elvad » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:57 pm

Anybody really know what this means? How do I find out how my car was painted? Like was the differential painted? Were any parts of the suspension, springs painted? etc etc. Anybody know a source of info for this stuff and these cars?? Thanks, Elvad.

redline337
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 71 Satellite Sebring RH

Re: Concourse Restoration

Post by redline337 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:42 pm

I googled it because I wasn't familiar with the term. Here's what I found....
http://ezinearticles.com/?Concours-Rest ... id=4293143

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:13 am

There is no one book or source you can look at for this information. The best source for determining what was original for your car is your car. If your car is not original enough, then low mile survivor cars are the next best thing. You can't just look at one survivor car though, it takes a LOT of research, as some parts / finishes / etc. changed during the model year. Also, your car could differ from another car with the same build date if it came from a different build plant. A couple examples, on 71 B bodies, early build cars got a lot of left over 70 parts like the rear wing, passenger side inner fender, big block valve covers, etc. Paint finishes changed over during the model year too, early built cars with plain painted wheels (with small "dog dish" hubcaps) were painted body color and late build cars had these same wheels painted black.

If you're talking about a true concourse restoration, you aren't just talking paint, but correct finishes on everything, even including replating each and every fastener with the correct finish, making sure all bolt heads have the correct markings, matching all the factory inspection paint marks, making sure all your parts have the correct date codes, etc.

No offense to you, but if you're asking these very basic questions about a concourse restoration, it's probably more than you will be able to take on successfully. You can still try to get your car close to original. The same sources referenced above will help. Also, there is a good knowledge base here. Ask specific questions on this site. Good luck!
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:55 am

Eric,

Excellent encapsulation of the "concourse restoration".

I might add one thing though. What I call "warts". Since production cars were made by humans on assembly lines (back in the day, before robotics) there are "warts". Things that were done wrong, production errors, some human some machine. Case in point, my Road Runner had the trunk "GTX" emblem on the wrong side. Why? Who knows? Maybe the worker that put it on just "felt like it".

At any rate, if I were do do a "concourse restoration" would I put the emblem where it should be, or where it was (i.e. a "wart") when the car was built?

Or the run in the paint of the firewall? Certainly not something that was planned, but on my car, there it was?

Or "replicating" over spray? There is no way one can replicate something that was (a) random, and (b) has no "correct" designation as to what it really looked like.

Just food for though on what is the eternal question..."What exactly is 'right', when it comes to mass production Mopars?

Righteous One Owner '72 Roadrunner

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:33 pm

Well, my opinion is it should be restored as close as possible to how that car was built including errors, paint drips/runs, etc. With good documentation from before the restoration, it should be no problem with judging.....but I have to admit I'm biased toward originality.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

pats71
GTX (RS)

Post by pats71 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:45 pm

I really want to do an original restoration myself, but the problem is that these cars were mass produced and workers did not seek "perfection" when building 1000's of the same body style car. Not saying line workers did not have pride, but you have to think of it in that sense. On my roadrunner, it is a survivor, but there are no chalk or grease markings anywhere on the car and it was built in St. Louis.

I'm at the point where yes I want to keep my as close to original as possible because it has survived this long with no one messing with it, minus little nick nack crap. I may upgrade certain things as headlights and wheels, as long as it can be put back to original easily without chopping original parts.

Not to steal the thread, but I got a question for you guys. Since a mouse tore most of my broadcast sheet to pieces, is it still important to have the scraps? The Serial number and other information IS legible, but its on about 5 scraps of paper. Thank god some of those scraps had the wheel and tire codes lol.
1971 Plymouth Roadrunner
383/4 speed/Air Conditioning

redline337
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 71 Satellite Sebring RH

Post by redline337 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:22 pm

pats71' wrote: Not to steal the thread, but I got a question for you guys. Since a mouse tore most of my broadcast sheet to pieces, is it still important to have the scraps? The Serial number and other information IS legible, but its on about 5 scraps of paper. Thank god some of those scraps had the wheel and tire codes lol.

Haha! I spent about 1/2 hour picking tiny little pieces of broadcast sheet out of my carpet. I think my wife thinks I'm crazy. I told her one of these years I want to try to piece it back together. :lol:

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:49 am

I found the broadcast sheet (under the rear seat) along with two others. One next to mine under the rear seat, the other under a front seat. I think the one under the front seat was because for some reason they needed it for my car (it was earlier in the day) so it ended up in mine. As for the second one in the back seat, no idea as it was a totally different car. i.e. a plain Satellite. Took me a LONG time to put all the pieces of the other two back together, but I did. Mine was in primo shape though.

Righteous One Owner '72 Roadrunner

sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Post by sdweatherman » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:17 pm

Another important consideration is: What do you want to do with your car when it is done. If you are content with trailering it around to most shows, then this type of restoration should garner you some trophies, cash and prizes. If you want to drive and enjoy your ride, then this type of restoration may be a bit much. Good luck with whatever you decide!
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:40 pm

The OP hasn't visited our site since shortly after his post. I doubt he'll see any future advice/recommendations.