Elastomeric Bumpers

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

frontloader
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 1972 road runner n96 v21 v25

Elastomeric Bumpers

Post by frontloader » Sat May 29, 2010 7:56 am

Would anyone know if it is possible to create elastomeric bumpers from the stock bumpers. My reason would be looks and to hide any inperfections. New bumpers are on my wish list.If possible explain and I can ask my body man to complete. Thank you,

Frontloader

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Re: Elastomeric Bumpers

Post by landon1 » Sat May 29, 2010 12:33 pm

you can buy the reproduced rubber eyebrows, but they are expensive. or, you can paint your bumpers. that's what a lot of people do - most likely since re-chroming is so expensive.

ILUV72RRs
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 340 Road Runner, 1972 400 Road Runner

Post by ILUV72RRs » Sat May 29, 2010 1:24 pm

Keep in mind that the original rubber bumper cars used rubberized paint sprayed on the bumpers. It's not just straight paint like most of the guys do now. To be safe. Be sure to have the chrome removed from your bumpers first. As just using primer and paint straight onto chrome. Doesn't hold up to well with age. Be sure and paint the bumper bolts too. I've seen guys paint their bumpers. Then forget to paint the bumper bolts. Which to me sort of stick out like a sore thumb when they're still chrome.

frontloader
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 1972 road runner n96 v21 v25

Post by frontloader » Sat May 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Excellent advise guys thak you very much,

frontloader

BuckNeccid
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by BuckNeccid » Sun May 30, 2010 11:17 am

If you want to take it one step farther, PlastiDip is making spray on rubber coating now. If you want to try, and have patience, you might be able to get a smooth coat on the bumpers to give them even more of the rubber look and a little resilience when someone shoves on them with a finger nail.

1bluegtx
GTX (RS)

Post by 1bluegtx » Mon May 31, 2010 1:14 am

ILUV72RRs wrote:Keep in mind that the original rubber bumper cars used rubberized paint sprayed on the bumpers. It's not just straight paint like most of the guys do now. To be safe. Be sure to have the chrome removed from your bumpers first. As just using primer and paint straight onto chrome. Doesn't hold up to well with age. Be sure and paint the bumper bolts too. I've seen guys paint their bumpers. Then forget to paint the bumper bolts. Which to me sort of stick out like a sore thumb when they're still chrome.
The steel bumpers were actually coated with rubber before the paint was applied.I have repaired rubber bumpers with this product:
http://www.semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=123
It is a two part rubber,mixes and speads like bondo.the whole bumper could be covered and sanded .

BRIAN
Its not numbers matching
It doesn't run on pump gas
And it doesn't purr like a kitten
11.73 at 115mph