Sorry I have not posted any info on the tips but here is som

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Sorry I have not posted any info on the tips but here is som

Post by AZ-Nick » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:20 pm

Sorry I have not posted any info and I would post the info I have but I just got home after spending the day in the ER, Stroke diagnosis when I was brought in and later the outcome was was not a stroke, thank God.
They did tell me that after the CT scan they found a large Cyst against my brain and when they compared my CT from 6 or 7 years ago it was also there, they also ruled out that the cyst caused my problems I had....
It sucks getting old.....

As you all know I have been working with a manufacture on making an affordable good looking and as accurate to the original tip I can have made, I have test samples made and give them my findings and they make changes and send them back. I decided to move closer to original looking tips if I can get them made at a reasonable cost, first lets look at what is original and what do we need.
Original tips rotted out very quickly, we do not want that so a change in material is needed.
Original tips were spot welded in 3 spots on the outside, I have seen some that have cracked and separated at the weld locations, yes I can have them spot welded again or welded completely around the tube, jury is still out on what to do about this.
Original tips were not sealed at the inlet side between the internal chamber (Red Part) and external grated housing, I think that it should be, this may help with keeping the Red surface below the grated sections cleaner if there is little to NO flow of exhaust carbon.....
S0GTX is sending me a shorty set that has been dissected so I can see the internals better so those will be next and I hope that some one has a 6-pack or Hemi tip that I can borrow to measure and those will be made too.
Then I will move to 73-74 tips.
All this takes time to make them as best as I can, of course, not everyone will be happy, some will say that they are good but still not 100% original, yes I know but what I am trying to do is make them better and affordable and not cheapen the quality and integrity of what it should be by cutting corners just to make a buck!
So to give you an idea on how I am going about this, here are my models that I have accurately made from original tips, from this point I will turn them into drawings and hand them off to a mfg. I make the models so I can visually check the looks and compare them to original pieces, it is much better than just dimensions on paper!!!! Oh and Yes I know there is NO hanger on the 71 Tip so you do not need to let me know :wink:
Last edited by AZ-Nick on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
71 GTX 4sp GY9
70 R/T Challenger - 80's look

http://www.nicksclassicparts.com

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Re: Sorry I have not posted any info on the tips but here is som

Post by AZ-Nick » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:22 pm

Ummmmmm, I am unsure why the pics did not fully show as they were cut off! :?
71 GTX 4sp GY9
70 R/T Challenger - 80's look

http://www.nicksclassicparts.com

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:56 pm

For firefox users right click-view image will show the full image.
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging

NOrrTH
GTX (RS)

Post by NOrrTH » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:18 pm

Sorry about your health problems :(

Hopefully I can be one of your first customers as my car needs tips :)
'71 GTX N96

sogtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 hemi gtx , 69 1/2 bee, 69 rag RR, 74 chally 4 speed, 67 dodge stepside, 71/2 satellite resto mod track car ( under construction) , ?

Post by sogtx » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:59 pm

Nick
We got work to do Quit getting sick dammit :?
Just kidding , glad to know youre back to bowling so quick ..

My shorties are dissected and ill be packaging them up ..

I hope that some of my observations of shortcomings from the " other " vendors
tips help you make a quality product that I dont have to spend a whole weekend
cleaning ..

After looking at my current tips , and others I had on the shelf
I see why these tips get dirty on the inside , I now know what im gonna do to fix them
but I may just wait till your tips come out because you know what causes the sooting .

You think Ill get them before the next F.A.S.T. Race in April to show them Off ?

rt-man
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by rt-man » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:47 am

Great news on the tips! Now, who's going to accurately repop the rear valance with cutouts...there were how many different variations?? :lol:
I'd never be a member of a club that would have me. - Groucho Marx