383 cam suggestions

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

pats71
GTX (RS)

383 cam suggestions

Post by pats71 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:28 am

Figured it would be better to ask some fellow bird owners on what a good cam would be for my 383 instead of moparts. Right now I'm kinda stuck in trying to choose a cam. I have been leaning towards MP 284/.484 cam more than anything. But I've also heard hughes and comp cams have good grinds for mopars. What kinda cams are you guys running, what results did you get, and just give me an idea to shoot for. A lot of guys are dogging the MP grinds and are claiming that they're old junk technology and better cams have been designed.

My 71' Roadrunner has the four speed and 3.23:1 sure grip posi rear end. I plan on keeping the motor "factory looking" except for an edelbrock performer intake and the competition carb 750. I was also curious about whether the comp carb is better than a t-quad or vice versa. I'm gonna keep the 346 heads and port/polish them and might even install larger valves if necessary, but I doubt it'll need them. With the exhaust, I'm going to open up the HP manifolds with a burr and am currently trying to decide between a 3 in. exhaust or keeping the factory 2 1/4 factory exhaust that is in excellent working order. This thing will be a show pony but I want to pull low 13's or high 12's et in the quarter.
1971 Plymouth Roadrunner
383/4 speed/Air Conditioning