Is it my Ballast Resistor?

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

pistol grip
GTX (RS)

Is it my Ballast Resistor?

Post by pistol grip » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:06 pm

hi guys long time since my last post, been out of town but here we go, last week driving to a car show my car lost power, my lights dimmed and i was stuck, a buddy of mine started to mess with my Ballast Resitor wires and it started , 5 minutes later again same symptoms we finally got the car to the show, got a new ignition coil all great no more problems, But.....in the last couple of days either my car starts right away, or it doesnt start at all or when it starts runs for 2 to 4 minutes and it turns off,....BTW my mechanical knowledge id very limited, Thanks, Steve
1971 GTX 440 Four Barrel 4 speed EV2

Pops
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Re: Is it my Ballast Resistor?

Post by Pops » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:20 pm

(this is landon1...at Pop (my dad's) house haha) sounds like ignition to me...when my car had a problem running and starting right, the vacuum advance wasn't working on the distributor...i replaced the distributor with a electronic HEI style one and it is great...doesn't look original,but it is much better than the old points set-up...

at first while reading it almost sounded like a fusible link - that's another issue i had on a long trip just out of high school...driving along, car started running like crap, lights dimmed, then the fusible link wire melted - kinda scary
Pops

1fastrunner
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by 1fastrunner » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:47 pm

By saying not starting, is it turning over and not starting? or not turning the starter? I had this problem and it was my solenoid(sp?), some time later my starter just kept going, while I was driving, and wouldn't stop until I unhooked the battery.
Jim

JosephGiannini
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 roadrunner 340 4 barrel with 727

Post by JosephGiannini » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:37 pm

this could be indicative of a ignition problem with points. i believe this sounds like a bad condenser coil which comes with points. I would replace points. However if it was me I would upgrade to a accel optical points elimator kit.
I own a 340 850hp Dick landy industries spec engine god rest his soul.
A Mopar god Is dead.
1972 roadrunner.