72 Road Runner and Road Runner/GTX Grill paint Question

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

GLR
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)

72 Road Runner and Road Runner/GTX Grill paint Question

Post by GLR » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:58 pm

Does anyone know if the Light silver argent on the 72 Road Runner grills is the same paint used on the 72 Road Runner/GTX's or are the 72 Road Runner/GTX's painted a darker argent?
PM me here or e-mail me at; glr7069@ptd.net

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Re: 72 Road Runner and Road Runner/GTX Grill paint Question

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:25 am

There is only one set part numbers for the center section and two headlight bezels that make-up the '72 Road Runner grille. It would appear that every Road Runner in '72 received the same grille. The original paint on the two every nice NOS pieces I have is definitely not a standard light argent or any other Mopar grille color I've been able compare to so far. There is no texture apparent to the finish as well. The factory manuals I have studied are of no help in this matter. IMO, it is darker than argent silver grille paint and has a slight gold tin, the closest match I've been able to find so far is SEM "Bumper Coater" 39023, see pics further down this thread.

I too would appreciate any input from anyone who has had some experience with this particular paint match.
Last edited by 72RoadRunnerGTX on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Post by rr6pak » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:46 am

Mopars ralley wheel paint is a good match, IMOP. P/N P4529876. I used this to paint mine :)

BuckNeccid
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by BuckNeccid » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:28 am

[quote="72RoadRunnerGTX"]There is only one set part numbers for the center section and two headlight bezels that make-up the 72’ Road Runner grille. It would appear that every Road Runner in 72’ received the same grille. The original paint on the two every nice NOS pieces I have is definitely not a standard light argent or any other Mopar grille color I’ve been able compare to so far. There is no texture apparent to the finish as well. The factory manuals I have studied are of no help in this matter. IMO, it is darker than argent silver grille paint and has a slight gold tin, the closest match I’ve been able to find so far is Rust-Oleum’s “Stainless Steel”.

I too would appreciate any input from anyone who has had some experience with this particular paint match.

I sure like that Rustoleum Stainless paint too, it looks right for so many things. Another I found is Krylon's indoor Stainless. It has a little more golden tint to it, and I've been clear coating it to use it outside, but it sure looks good too. Just make sure if you use the Krylon, clean the spout, and be sure to shake the devil out of it. If not, the second time you use it after a couple days sitting, and the tube gets clogged, and that can is useless.

GLR

Post by GLR » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:47 am

Well, I spoke with my BASF paint rep and he told me if I could get him a sample of the original paint color on at least 3" x 3" piece of Plastic or one of the actual parts with the original paint in good condition they have a machine that can read the color and they will make a formula for it and that way anyone that has assess to BASF paint can get the correct paint for the grill. So if anyone would consider sending me something, I would get it done and send the part back.
Thank you
Gary Rogers
owner of Performance Automotive

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
1972 Satellite Sebring

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:57 am

I have compared it with Mopar's light argent wheel paint and it's not the same color and has more gloss. I have seen a lot of '72 RR grilles painted the lighter silver argent but it doesn't look correct to me after having seen the NOS parts. It has been suggested that maybe the color I see is aged argent silver however the well used/aged Sat grilles I have, still looks light silver argent. It is not the same color as used on the '71 RR and '71-72 Satellite grilles.
I will look into having my NOS pieces color scanned locally and will share the formula here if I come up with a good match. I'm afraid after spending a small fortune on these very rare grille parts, I for one, won't chance shipping them across the country. I have found buying rare and fragile parts off Ebay can be a real crap shoot as far the quality of the packing. The grill parts showed up in a hand built wooden box, double wrapped in bubble wrap and floating in shredded newspaper. I was impressed.
Last edited by 72RoadRunnerGTX on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

GLR

Post by GLR » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Sounds great!..Please let me and everyone know what ythe correct paint color/formula is. Please post it on here and if you don't mind Please Contact me using my e-mail if you would please; glr7069@ptd.net
Thank you!
Gary

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:45 pm

GLR wrote:Sounds great!..Please let me and everyone know what ythe correct paint color/formula is. Please post it on here and if you don't mind Please Contact me using my e-mail if you would please; glr7069@ptd.net
Thank you!
Gary

There is a parallel thread somewhere around here that asked about the colors. I put a post on that thread about the paint I used. I had the original grille as I had been the one and only owner of the car. Here's the text from that thread. There are also a series of "up close and personal" pictures about the '72 grilles, along with a link to my PhotoBucket site with a LOT of detailed and "how to" pix regarding the installation of the grille.

From that post....

"Just dug out the cans of paint I used. There were two different colors. One for the honeycomb and one for the three plastic pieces.

Both are Dupont Vinyl Color

For the plastic grille parts.

W8075J Maserati 1981
Code:0001 Color: ARGENTO - Effect

For the honeycomb

B8859J General Motors Corp 1988
Code: 12 Color: Silver - Effect

Don't know if any of this will help, but it's what I used. I took the grille and honeycomb to the paint supplier and the guy who I had been working with from the first day did some research and came up with what I used. They are both single stage paints and require no other mixing before use. Unlike the Dupont Chroma I used for the car which has two different components you have to mix together in a specific ratio.

Hope this helps."

Righteous One Owner '72 Roadrunner

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
1972 Satellite Sebring

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:11 pm

I took my NOS center grille in today to have it color scanned only to be told the metallic colors were a little iffy for the scanner. Looked at some SEM paint chips while at the paint store and found what looked to be a real close color match in a rattle can (39023). After a test comparison, the color is pretty much dead on, as is the sheen (or lack thereof).
Completed grille;
Last edited by 72RoadRunnerGTX on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:03 am, edited 5 times in total.

GLR

Post by GLR » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:38 am

Thank you for taking the time to take your NOS bezel to the paint store and finding a match. I really appreacate it!
Gary

GLR

Post by GLR » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:40 am

I also want to thank...72Rdrnner for your information on the colors you used on your grill pieces.
Thank you again, Gary