440 Rebuild

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

440 Rebuild

Post by landon1 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:17 pm

i have some questions on re-building i thought i would fire off here before i go talking to a machine shop. I've taken motors apart and put them back together before, but when i re-build my motor i want it to be great, not just put back together. I think I need to have my crank turned (more on that later) and have undersize bearings, wouldn't the rods need some machining done on them as well? on this topic, anyone know an average price for turning a crank? Pops thinks i can get away with just replacing rods and mains, then doing the MUST of 7qt oil pan (and matched pickup - thinking of upgrading to 1/2" pickup) and windage tray. Whenever this is done, i'm going to do some port-matching and a Performer RPM intake. My motor has plenty of power and runs great, doesn't really burn any oil (leaks quite a bit - pan gasket/pan warpage i believe)...BUT i have a lil knock right around the time when the trans goes to shift. I'm assuming i need to get the crank re-ground because of this, or not? I was thinking of just getting a complete rotating assembly (maybe stroker), but that's quite a bit of money, so thought i'd see what you guys think on rebuilding mine and any issues to deal with, cost, etc. Also still don't know what to go with for a cam - thinking about a Lunati Voodoo. Don't really want to get into higher stall converter, but any opinions would be great.

Thanks