727 Accumulator Spring

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

727 Accumulator Spring

Post by 72Rdrnner » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:56 pm

Opened up my 727 tyranny to put a new shift seal and pan gasket in. Discovered as I removed the valve body there was NO spring in the accumulator!

It was overhauled in 1986 and I parked it in 1990. Restored it in 2003-2006 and have been driving it since 2006. I know the accumulator is to make the 1-2 shift "smoother" so I think maybe the transmission shop left the spring out to make the shift more "positive" or "hard"...

So what do I do? Put a spring back in...or leave it out?

Any input will be appreciated!

Righteous One Owner '72 Roadrunner

dragman440
Road Runner (RM)

Post by dragman440 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:35 pm

Leave it out. You will find with a little research that the autos in factory hi-po cars had no spring. The firmer, more positive shift will add to a longer lasting trans anyway. A mushy shift of a stock trans is nothing more than your clutches sliding into gear rather than a firm engage. This is why shift kits claim they make your trans last longer. If you do this. I recomend a Trans-Go level 2 kit. 8)

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:04 pm

dragman440 wrote:Leave it out. You will find with a little research that the autos in factory hi-po cars had no spring. The firmer, more positive shift will add to a longer lasting trans anyway. A mushy shift of a stock trans is nothing more than your clutches sliding into gear rather than a firm engage. This is why shift kits claim they make your trans last longer. If you do this. I recomend a Trans-Go level 2 kit. 8)
Thanks...

I did some searching in my parts manual and find there are two different springs. One is below the accumulator piston pushing it up and the other is above the piston pushing it down. Two different part numbers. The second is found on the 440HP with dual exhausts (like mine) and the first is on the 400.

There was a little confusion on my part due to the fact the transmission in my car is an "early 1972" despite the fact my car was built late in the production run. (June 1972) I guess due to the small number of 440 A/T cars (458) built that year the "early" / "late" designation was a little misleading. The number on my transmission is 3515848 (only 5848 is stamped into the case)

The concern I had was not so much the "hard" shift from first to second, but the "hard" engagement when I go from neutral to first.

To be honest this it only the first time I had taken the valve body off myself. The only other time the transmission had been worked on was when I had it overhauled in 1986. I have no idea if the spring was there at the time or not. The shop who did the overhaul is long gone so I couldn't ask them about the spring.

Interestingly enough I found the springs (both kinds) at the local Mopar dealer with the original part number. Don't know if Chrysler Restoration Parts are making them, or it's just still around.

On a related note I've been looking into one of the Keisler Automatic transmissions that are a "bolt in" unit. Even uses the stock shifter but replaces the mechanical kickdown with an electronic sensor on the carb, plus other electronic shifting innards. Best part is it's an overdrive which in essence makes it a 4 speed auto. A little pricy at $3800 but what the hell, can't take it with you!

Righteous One Owner '72 Roadrunner

dragman440
Road Runner (RM)

Post by dragman440 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:54 pm

Go for the overdrive mileage! good luck.

6o4o
Road Runner (RM)

Re: 727 Accumulator Spring

Post by 6o4o » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:36 am

reinstall that spring.. removing it only is hard on parts on the 727 and doesn't help to make shifts... if you want to have better shifts get a Transgo TF-2 reprogramming kit, but removing the spring is not really helping, just risking to damaged something (belleville spring etc.)
72 RR GTX, No. matching 440, 68 727, body TX9, B5 interior, got doorsticker, but no buildsheet
72 Satellite 318-Auto, all No.matching, with buildsheet

Both cars tasting now swiss cheese ;)