suspension torque values

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

birdbrain

suspension torque values

Post by birdbrain » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:25 pm

i'm betting somebody has a 73 FSM here and can give me the torque specs for the torsion bar crossmember mount bolts, K frame bolts, upper control arm pivot nuts, upper and lower ball joint nuts and tie rod / idler arm / pitman arm nuts........your help would be much appreciated. i got everthing from just suspension, but i got rubber control arm bushings and polygraphite K frame and torsion bar crossmember bushings. according to the included paperwork i am to use the factory torque specs on the PG bushings and retorque them after some road time. supposedly the PG bushings in the K and torsion members will stiffen this baby up a little without destroying the ride quality.......here's hoping! :D

71_DEPUTY
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by 71_DEPUTY » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:45 pm

OK- OUT OF A 74 MANUAL- SHOULD BE THE SAME

torsion bar crossmember mount bolts--75 foot pounds

K frame bolts--50 foot pounds

upper control arm pivot nuts--75 foot pounds

upper and lower ball joint nuts--upper-125ft bottom-85ft

tie rod--- 132 inch pounds

pitman arm nuts--175 inch pounds

john mac

birdbrain

Post by birdbrain » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:03 pm

i much appreciate the info john mac! now i can put this beast back rollin' this weekend. :) :beer:

71_DEPUTY
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by 71_DEPUTY » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:43 am

welcome! :)

patrick
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1973 Road Runner 440/4 speed

Re: suspension torque values

Post by patrick » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:55 pm

For the lower ball joint, is that the torque setting for the threaded or non-threaded? Mine came with threaded. Also, I hate how the factory manual has absolutely no picture of the floating torsion bar rear crossmember piece, but from the description in the manual (presuming it's referring to the same piece), it does state 75 ft. lbs. as the other gentleman stated. I'm using solid bushings, but I presume the torque is the same...
100% Death Proof