Best course of restoration?

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Post by AZ-Nick » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:51 pm

from this to that... You would not believe what a little elbow grease can clean.....

71 GTX 4sp GY9
70 R/T Challenger - 80's look

http://www.nicksclassicparts.com

RS23-71
GTX (RS)

Post by RS23-71 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:54 pm

Wow that even looks like it had original battery....

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Post by AZ-Nick » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:55 pm

this to that

71 GTX 4sp GY9

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Post by AZ-Nick » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:59 pm

71 GTX 4sp GY9

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Post by AZ-Nick » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:10 am

All I am saying is there is alot you can do on your own, I did all that you see in the pics above and trust me when I say, I am NO wizard or magican. You start a project and you work on it until you finish it, then move on to the next project on the car. You may not be a welder, so you plan on having a body man or a friend do it for you, if you do the other work that you can do, you will save enough for the weld work to happen.

Also, you said it may not be a 1 of 30, how do you know that?
With only 327 4sp cars sold, how many do you think are the same color as yours both inside and out and without the vinyl top, it narrows quite quickly. I forgot if yours has a console or not and what axle ratio it has.
You need to find the Build Sheet, you may be surprized at how rare it could really be!!!! Good Luck and take your time...... Nick
71 GTX 4sp GY9

RS23-71
GTX (RS)

Post by RS23-71 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:23 am

I find those pics of your dash interesting.

Dash pic

This is not the best pic of my dash but I still have to see another dash with a big clock in it like mine has... is that an option?

Oh and I did find the broadcast sheet back in '88 but it seems to have gone missing.... I just saw on http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/ a few days ago he said their could be as many as 5 broadcast sheets in a car that I didnt know so I never looked for more. Some mice did get into my car so I hope if thier is more then one they didnt turn the other ones into a nest.

{edit} Oh btw the main reason I joined this forum over any others is you guys mostly only talk about '71 and later b-bodys and I have alot of questions about my car (and I'm interested in others b-bodys of the same yr). I didnt see any other sites on the web like this one. Moparts looks like a good forum but by the time I get around to reading one thread that started one page 1 its just about ends up on page 3 cause so many ppl posting and they are not focused on the subject I'm interested in. I love all mopars but of course I only have so much time so I would rather focus that time on cars like mine.

71440 gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 gtx 71 340 duster
Location: I am here, or is it there? GIF image (animated, 49 frames)

Post by 71440 gtx » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:21 am

This is not the best pic of my dash but I still have to see another dash with a big clock in it like mine has... is that an option?

yes it is my 71 gtx has it
:beer:
71 gtx 440 4speed air grabber blue on blue with white vinyl roofOption cassette player

Plymouth's gonna getcha!
There are 3 things that will live forever, cockroaches, Keith Richards, & slant 6

orangerunner
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by orangerunner » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:42 pm

I found the best course for restoration is to sell the car and buy one that someone else has already sunk a lot of money into.

Unless you are a qualified bodyman, the labour and the cost of new parts or restoring old parts is going to cost more than the car is worth.

Even if you got the car for free, if you sink $50,000 into restoring a 383 Road Runner, chances are high that it will not be worth that much for possibly many years to come, if ever.

Right now on the market you can buy a nicely restored 383 car in the $30,000 range or less. If you have the money up front, that is the way to go.

For some, they have the skill and the time to do it themselves and they enjoy the satisfaction of restoring it.

Unless the car has a lot of sentimental value, the market value of the car is important. You always hear "I'm never going to sell it, so it doesn't matter.", but you never know when a financial hardship may come up.

It's nice to you know that your investment and/or labour of love has some monetary value.

71440 gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 gtx 71 340 duster
Location: I am here, or is it there? GIF image (animated, 49 frames)

Post by 71440 gtx » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:53 am

are you going sell the 71 gtx ? pm me if you are
71 gtx 440 4speed air grabber blue on blue with white vinyl roofOption cassette player

Plymouth's gonna getcha!
There are 3 things that will live forever, cockroaches, Keith Richards, & slant 6

ryangtogtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 GTX

Post by ryangtogtx » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:25 pm

Restorations on a car in the condition of yours will be very expensive When you consider all of the work that will be needed. Consider the costs of an engine rebuild, complete interior (dash pad, gauges, seats, headliner, lower door panels, shift lever, carpet, wiring harness, etc.) For a good example, here is a link to my car. http://www.musclecarrestorations.com/ga ... TX-71-000/
When the car was disassembled, the rust issues we expected weren't as bad as originally thought. Obviously the lower quarters need to be repaired, but if all of the rust is below the lower break, a good metal fab shop can replace the metal without having to buy full quarters if you can even find them. Until the aftermarket actually repops the quarters, this will probably be your biggest obstacle. You also need to ask yourself what you are going to do with the car. Do you want to drive it regularly, show it, etc. I also would use a reputable shop that is familiar with Mopars. There are many shops that are good, but I would ask for references and speak to people who have gone through this before jumping into something and getting over your head. The members on this board are very good at giving input and know the pitfalls of these cars. As Nick said, the more you can do yourself the better, but it's also prudent to know your own limitations.

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

Post by CtownRunner » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:22 pm

Good luck with what ever you decide to do. My car is NOT a GTX or 440+6, or # matching. So I do what I can as time and money permit. It is on the road and a hell of alot better then when I got it. I'm going inch by inch.

Cosmetics are low on my list. Suspension, brakes and motor reliability are my priorities. I picked up buckets and rear seats at swap meets to replace the crappy ones that were original to the car. I still have them in storage just in case but the wrong body and wrong year seats were HUGE interior upgrade to me and it's on the road not in a shop.

I didn't have money to buy a car already done so "it is what it is" I learned more on this car then I had in the past 30 yrs about cars.
Next time I'll spring for a Satellite/RR clone texas/AZ/NM car already done! Maybe a nice C body 71 2D Polara which can still be had near mint for what I paid for my RR. I gotta take a nite class in body work someday!